Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Epilog Helix 24 Laser

Ryan, not sure what you are talking about with the ULS having a parallel port. We have a USB port and it works every time. Ethernet is normally recommended to those having issues with USB. USB is good enough to connect my external hard drives, printers, digital cameras, and every other device out there. No reason it's not good enough to send a file to a laser.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott,

Thanks for making me clarify...when I chose the Epilog Helix a big factor was that I couldn't have the machine within 5 meters of the computer.

From www.usb.org
    Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
    A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).
    From the spec sheet on the ULS site for the V460. Maybe a ULS user could provide the current cost for this option?

Parallel port standard. USB and ethernet
    optional. Compatible with Windows® 2000/
    XP and Mac OS®9.
    Based partly on pricing and the fact that the ethernet and usb port were standard I went with the epilog. In a previous job we ran ethernet connections over 500' in a machine control situation where the computer had to be in control room and I really preferred this option in my laser even though I only need to go 25'. Having the option to send data from my wife's laptop to the machine has also proven to be very handy, since she is the graphic designer and I am not.

I think the newest versions of the ULS machines have ethernet and USB, but at the time I purchased my laser they were not in the same price range as the Helix and the V460.
    Last edited by Ryan O'Hara; 01-30-2008 at 9:19 PM.
    Regards Ryan
    45W Epilog Helix using Corel X3

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)

Standing back in envy

Ken and Joe,

I'm local (or is that loco?) to Washington also. However, I'm on the dry side of our portion of the planet, Specifically, Mattawa, Washington (my neighbor is an apple, another one is a bale of hay).

I've been looking into lasers (and water jets) for some time now. I'm a ways out on investing in one, but am interested in testing capabilities of both systems on various materials for different jobs.

Thus far, it seems the lasers are the least expensive, and the most fun, as far as versatility goes.

All that said, do you, or do you know of anyone in my neck of the woods, play around for other folks. I'm looking into cutting Mylar (about 10-14 mil) for templates and have gotten a few samples of material, but haven't had any cuts done yet.

Kelly

Kelly, no offence intended here mate, but this is a two year old post, you would be better private messaging or checking through the list of engravers to find someone local to you.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender