Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: steam bending set-up

Julie, I just use a $10 hot pot from walmart or whatever and it works great. I set the pot at the low end of my steam setup and a lot of the runoff goes back into the pot and would steam for an hour or two at a time between refills.

Here is my $20 setup that worked quite nicely for pre-bending a tight handrail.

I ran 1/4" bolts through the black pipe about 1" up to support the work out of the water/runoff, and used a dremel(Foredom) to cut the spout off the hot pot and cut a circle in it to accept the white pvc. I have addt'l pictures of the setup if you wish. Have fun!
    Last edited by Todd Jensen; 11-29-2007 at 9:31 PM.

todd, that looks like a nice little set-up.

i'm leaning towards something like that or the used paint thinner can idea...

thanks all!

Has anyone tryed (and had any luck) using steam to flatten cupped or twisted lumber prior to jointing/planing. Did the cup come back? Or did it stay flattened?
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use a propane burner "like the ones for the turkeys" with a metal gas can 5 gallons. This gives you a spout to run a steam line off. I piped mine into a large pvc pipe with a fixed cap on one end and a screw on cap on the other end. Tap it for pressure release and you have a great champer. I got my design from fine wood working and it works amazing. this seems to be the path you were on until you got side tracked. Good luck to you

Kerosene heater sellers ought to have the 5 gal metal cans for kerosene too.
    Use the fence Luke

I use a keg with the top cut off. Holds enough water to boil and steam for 3-4 hours and on top of a 60000 btu gas burner it really provides tons of steam. I bend inch thick oak with it. I usually use it to make beer, however, and it excels at that also. Google: keggle.

Naysayers.

Would an older style propane tank, filled with water naturally, work? You could take out the top valve and suppliment some sort of fitting and hose.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day