Thread: Woodline cabinet 1/2" shank profile bit on sale

Question Woodline cabinet 1/2" shank profile bit on sale

do any of you experienced router users know if these bits are any good- I am going to make new doors for my kitchen and I wanted to get a good set, not MLCS - those are OK - but I want something that is going to cut smooth and last, on a side note - how do you sharpen your router bits- what do you use?
    Thank you,
    Brian

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JES9GE/...82320_pe_ar_t1

Can't address the Woodline quality issue, but I touch up the "face", or flat surface, on my bits w/ a diamond paddle. I never touch the profile edges.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Question Bill?

Thank you very much-! Can I get a diamond paddle from Rockler- they should carry something like that, if not I'll search around.
    thank again Bill,
    Brian

Bill, while I have never used the Woodline at the cost of the set you have posted I would assume these would be at the low end of quality bits but probably better than MLCS . If you don't use them that often they would do you a fine job.
    David

Question Dave ~ ?

So ,in your opinion, whats the best cabinet set to get?
    thank you,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    So ,in your opinion, whats the best cabinet set to get?
    thank you,
    Brian
    Brian, I posted in the other bit thread. Check these out http://www.eagleamerica.com/category...996_A_c2c_E_ln but remember this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth
    David

brian, i have used the woodline 3 piece raised panel set for the last three years without any major difficulties and they're fairly inexpensive. recently, i upgraded to a freud 2+2 raised panel cutter and the results are INCREDIBLE. you get SHAVINGS instead of dust and the cut is so smooth that no further sanding is required.

as far as resharpening goes, i haven't resharpened my bits yet although i'd be tempted to just chuck the rail and stile cutters since they often don't fit as tightly after resharpening.

Brian, I would not use the Woodline bits for raising panels or rails and stiles. Personally I use Freud bits almost exclusively, but have a set of Woodline 1/2" bits (regular bits not door bits) for the occassional odd bit that I may not have. If I find that I need a bit from the Woodline set, then I order a Freud from Amazon.com to have for next time. Freud bits are made of higher quality carbide than Woodline bits and they hold an edge better and the edge stays sharper longer. The difference, in terms of quality of cut, between a top of the line bit and a marginal bit is unbelievable, especially when raising panels and building door frames. My advice is to spend the extra money and get a Freud, Whiteside, Jesada (if they are still available) or a CMT set, and you will be glad you did. Minimal sanding, if any, will be required after the cuts, and will be easier on your router when spinning a 3.5" bit 12-14k rpm through hardwood. If you use a Woodline set, or other comparable set, those will require more time sanding and cleaning up, plus they will not hold an edge for long especially when plowing through hardwoods, which again means more wear and tear on your router. BTW, You will get the same 20% off from Amazon.com on Freud bits as well. Not affliated yada yada. Good Luck, Bill

Smile Hey thanks for your input,

I think I am going to go with the freud bit - I would much rather get better results and spend less time on the cleanup- you made my mind up. thank you
    Brian

brian, make sure that your router plate is wide enough for the freud 2+2 cutter - i actually had to grind the throat slightly so that it would spin freely. the results however are unbelievable compared to anything else that i have ever used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    brian, i have used the woodline 3 piece raised panel set for the last three years without any major difficulties and they're fairly inexpensive. recently, i upgraded to a freud 2+2 raised panel cutter and the results are INCREDIBLE. you get SHAVINGS instead of dust and the cut is so smooth that no further sanding is required.

as far as resharpening goes, i haven't resharpened my bits yet although i'd be tempted to just chuck the rail and stile cutters since they often don't fit as tightly after resharpening.

Frank, is that the set that has the bits with both upshear and downshear cutters? I was curious about the results with these bits. They sound like a nice acquisition.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!