Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nail gun for furniture construction?

nail gun for furniture construction?

I'm just curious how many of you guys use a brad nail gun for putting together furniture like I see Norm use all so often on NYW? I'm definitely more a newbie when it comes to wood working, but I would think that classic joinery would be a better approach, but it seems like Norm is using the nail gun quite a bit when assembling cabinetry etc. Just curious about thoughts and input.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    I'm just curious how many of you guys use a brad nail gun for putting together furniture like I see Norm use all so often on NYW? I'm definitely more a newbie when it comes to wood working, but I would think that classic joinery would be a better approach, but it seems like Norm is using the nail gun quite a bit when assembling cabinetry etc. Just curious about thoughts and input.
    You might want to go back a few days because we just had 2 threads about Normy.
    Gary

I read most of the "ugliest furniture" and "most impressive episodes" threads. I was simply using Norm as a reference to see if others typically use a brad nailer as much as he does in assembly of cabinetry, or if they use more conventional joinery for furniture.......

In my opinion, depends upon your focus. You said that you are a "newbie". Are you more concerned with getting things square, getting things flat, getting used to tools, getting something done? What is the aim? What is wrong with some brads to hold a glue joint while it dries - on your project? Do you have enough clamps otherwise? Would you rather do some other form of joinery? I think that you have to answer these questions. If you don't know the answers yet, I would say that some brads to hold the drying joints are just fine. If you are trying to take the TIME at this point to build keepsake pieces, then by all means study and try some various other joinery methods and then apply the ones you like to your pieces.

Just my $0.02.

Brad

I use a gun for speed often. 23,18 and 16 gauge and occasional staples.

Like others have said depends upon your focus and needs. My take on this is that I am building something that will meet reasonable expectations for the purpose intended. If for instance a biscuit joint will serve the purpose I will use that or alternativly pocket hole screws. I am perfectly willing to use what modern technology has to offer ,I am trying to build something that meets the need usually furniture items for the grandchildren and I expect these to survive much longer than the partical board from Wally World. I do not expect my pieces will ever wind up in a mueseum but enjoy building them. Use what you feel comfortable with, I think our forbearers would have used a brad naier if they were avaiable. Just my 2cents.

I have multiple nail guns. Multiple staple guns too. Many, many hammers as well. I use them all, when nails or staples are called for. The joinery needs drive the need for nails (or staples) or not. Of course, I build more things than fine furniture too.

I like to think of nails (or staples) as disposable wire clamps. I'm not using them for structural reasons, but to hold things in place while glue dries.

Classic joinery does not call for nails. Not every piece needs to have classic joints. Even on classic pieces, trim was most likely nailed on, as were backs and interior, non-showing pieces.

Todd

I will use a gun when it's the best way to do something, but generally don't do it in visible places on furniture. For some of my recent cabinetry projects, 15 gage nails were used in some of the carcass construction and in two instances I had to use a few brads for practical reasons in minimally visible areas. But I do try to avoid them when I can...which is most of the time.

Norm did use brads a lot earlier on...it happens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i would not use brad nails on furniture or on freestanding cabinets with exposed ends but for built-ins and kitchen cabinets, why not? it sure does beat trying to handle the cabinet with the cumulative weight of all those clamps!

For adding a plywood back, brads or nails are appropriate. While famous for dovetail joints on drawers, the shakers were even known to occasionally nail them together, and probably would have used a brad nailer if it had been available.
    However, I question their use to hold glue joints 'while drying'. After reading the article on glue ups in FWW # 194 and the discussion on clamping pressure, I do not think you are going to get a strong joint by gluing and nailing when using PVA glue. It might work OK with other glue types.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    However, I question their use to hold glue joints 'while drying'. After reading the article on glue ups in FWW # 194 and the discussion on clamping pressure, I do not think you are going to get a strong joint by gluing and nailing when using PVA glue.
    I have not done any formal tests myself on the strength of my nailed on glued on trim as of late, so perhaps the bond does not achieve 100% of its potential in terms of possible strength.

However, I am certain the bonds I am getting are plenty strong enough for what they need to do. None have failed yet.

Todd

Rob Will Guest
    I use all sorts of nail guns but would try to avoid using them on traditional furniture.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    i would not use brad nails on furniture or on freestanding cabinets with exposed ends but for built-ins and kitchen cabinets, why not? it sure does beat trying to handle the cabinet with the cumulative weight of all those clamps!
    I agree with what Frank said. In Fine furniture, there is no place for brads - period.

In cabinetry - go nuts with the nailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post
    In cabinetry - go nuts with the nailer.
    just watch where you place your fingers - i've had nails blow through the sides barely missing mine!

It really depends on what type of furniture I'm building and where I might need a nail or staple. I never use nails on an outer or exposed surface.

Pneumatic nailer's have a place in my shop, most definitely!