Thread: Possible gloat- Free Robland K 26 (to me)

Possible gloat- Free Robland K 26 (to me)

I have the opportunity to get a Robland K 26 for free but I do not know if I want it (not a bad problem to have). I have an older 6" jointer, Sawstop and lunchbox planer and just blew big $ on a new RT setup from Bench Dog. I am not the type to turn down free iron, especially when it means my shop will instantly double in machinery and coolness.

But I know nothing about this thing except that it has a TS, Jointer and Planer (?) and that it might have a moulder of sorts? Anyone offer some input on what this might be equipped with and how it works and if I should take it? How old is it?

One of the things that concerns me is that I have a space for it but it is on the left of my TS and I think it requires access from all sides. Not really a biggie as it is on casters but I like to keep things put in the shop. ALso it would mean getting rid of my PM 56 jointer for the space. Is it a good jointer and planer or should I stay wiht my current stuff and save the space?

A friend of a friend has had it since it was new and never used anything but the TS function. Christmas is looking good this year.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I have an X31 that I bought new about 13 years ago. I like mine very well. It works great and in a tight shop saves a lot of space. However it can be pretty tough to set up properly but once done it stays that way. Of course it has some quirks but once you know how to handle them it works well. It is not the best combo on the market but for the cost it is pretty dang good for a smaller machine.

I personally would not ever go back to seperates. However I might consider a larger slider with planer jointer combo on the side. I really don't use the shaper all that much but have used it and could live without it. When you use a combo if forces you to be pretty organized about your machining.

Far as the X26 goes I know it was the model that was before the X31 not quite sure how old it is but would say at least 15years. I have never seen the X26 so I am not sure of all of the functions.

For free heck yes I would give it a try. They are pretty heavy dudes.

Yahoo has a good Robland X31 forum that I would suggest you go to. There is more info there then anyplace else with some very nice people to boot.

Good Luck

Alan

I, too, have an older X-31 and like it. However, there are drawbacks. I don't know the differences between this model and the K26, but here are some of my thoughts

On the plus side:
    1. As you point out the footprint is quite small. But you must leave significant room on all sides to take advantage of all these combos have to offer.
    2. The jointer is a killer. The 12" wide, long table makes it a joy to use. Set-up is really fast--less than 30 seconds to add the jointer fence.
    3. The horizontal mortiser is awesome, and once set up you can create LOTS of mortises in a very short period of time.
    4. The shaper is powerful and has both a 3/4 and 1 1/4-inch bore. Head and shoulders better than a router for hogging off a lot of wood--like making frame and panel doors.
    5. The slider (I have the larger of the two) makes handling large sheet goods much easier. No cross-cut sled required, either.

On the negative side:
    1. The TS blade height adjustment sucks.
    2. Switching from jointer to planer is slow. I still use my trusty Delta 2-speed planer most of the time.
    3. It takes prep time to organize your work flow.
    4. Limited dado blade width.
    5. Poor chip collection for the jointer/planer. None for the horizontal mortiser.

And, of course, the need to work from all sides requires more shop space than you might think.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide, and if you have specific questions, send me an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow View Post
    I have the opportunity to get a Robland K 26 for free but I do not know if I want it (not a bad problem to have). I have an older 6" jointer, Sawstop and lunchbox planer and just blew big $ on a new RT setup from Bench Dog. I am not the type to turn down free iron, especially when it means my shop will instantly double in machinery and coolness.

But I know nothing about this thing except that it has a TS, Jointer and Planer (?) and that it might have a moulder of sorts? Anyone offer some input on what this might be equipped with and how it works and if I should take it? How old is it?

One of the things that concerns me is that I have a space for it but it is on the left of my TS and I think it requires access from all sides. Not really a biggie as it is on casters but I like to keep things put in the shop. ALso it would mean getting rid of my PM 56 jointer for the space. Is it a good jointer and planer or should I stay wiht my current stuff and save the space?

A friend of a friend has had it since it was new and never used anything but the TS function. Christmas is looking good this year.

I would get it as the price is too good to pass up. Even if you decide not to use it, you could always sell it for a song and still be ahead of the game.

Cheers

Brian

YOu have nothing to lose.

this might make a fun thread. you getting this tool and cleaning and setting up.

build a few things with it....etc

if you don't like it you could always sell it.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Get it and try it out for awhile. (You've got nothing to lose).

Then see if it can replace your dedicated stuff..

Seems like the only downside is that it might take up space, and the effort to haul it to your place.

Heck, it would be worth it just for the experience of playing around with it, even if you don't like it.

Went to see it today and it is in decent shape although the owner has been using it as a table for his wine and pepperoni making habits so it is completely covered in surface rust (no pitting as the pepperoni has formed a protective seal over the years).

I have a sawstop but I will be getting this tool mostly for the wider jointer and the slider for making cross cuts. He says he has the mortiser so that will be all new to me but I am looking forward to the cleanup/tuneup and long term use.

Thanks for the replies. Just reinforced what I was planning on doing anyway. Now, how will I get it in the truck...

"A" frame and block and tackle . . . or a forklift
    Last edited by Pat Keefe; 12-01-2007 at 5:41 AM.

Got 'em. Pics to follow on arrival.

Thanks for the replies.