Thread: Grizzly 20" planer Dust collection problem???

Grizzly 20" planer Dust collection problem???

Hey Gang,
    I have a Grizzly 20" planer (Go454) that I bought a month or so ago. So far I have used the planer with no dust collection, but I recently bought and hooked up a penn state 1500 cfm dust collector to the planer.
    At the present time I only have the planer hooked up to the dust collector.
    My question/problem: I am still getting a fair amount of those dents from the wood chips getting on what I'm guessing is the outfeed roller.

Is there an adjustment I need to make to eliminate this or is this a common problem with no fix? I think I have plenty of suction from the dust collector.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Lee

I have the same planer, and have never had dents whether I used a DC or not.

Check the dust chute for clogged areas from running without the DC. It may not be pulling air across the whole cutterhead if there are plugged spots on the ends.

Hi Gary,
    No clogs, I already pulled the dust chute and covers off and checked.
    Thanks,
    Lee

I would go back and re-do the settings on the chipbreaker, pressure bar. and the chip deflector. The chip deflector keeps the chips from falling onto the outfeed roller.
    Good luck!
    Art King

I don't know if this has been addressed, I had the same problem with the 15". Take the top cover off and tear the foam strip off of the piece inside there. Voila, no more dents or bad extraction. Don't know why they put that in there.

Hi Marcus,
    I did have someone on another forum mention that and I did trim it down to about 1/4", as opposed to 3/4" or however thick it is. I am still getting the dents, however. My plan is to increase the 4" DC line that is connected to the planer to a 6" line. I may try removing the foam altogether.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Yes. Remove the foam strips. You have to have a place for air to "get into there". I removed mine a week after getting my G1033 20"planer.
    Griz tech support told me there was no need for the foam.
    Also make sure the plastic strip is adjusted as close as possible to the cutter head.

These planers have a 5" opening, and you NEED at least a 5" hose.

did you remove all the chips that were stuck to the rollers from when there was no dust collection?

If I try to run my 15" delta planer on a 4" hose, I get the chip marks on softer woods. 5" hose...no chips and no clogs. 5" hose made a big difference in performance.