Thread: to sharpen chisels etc: looking for reasonably priced wet or dry grinder

Question to sharpen chisels etc: looking for reasonably priced wet or dry grinder

Any recommendations. I bought a stock one from Lowe's for $32 and the wheel is a bit crooked and moderate pressure on the chisel during sharpening can stop the wheel.

So I am looking for a reasonably priced wet or dry grinder to sharpen chisels and other shop tools. I guess wet would be good if it can reduce sparking and fire hazards.

Have you looked at the Worksharp system?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...epagedeal=true

I just received mine yesterday I have sharpened a 3/8" chisel & 2 kitchen knives & have plane blades & more chisels & kitchen knives to sharpen I better get going.

I like it it is easy to operate.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

In a sense, a grinder normally will not see a woodworking chisel except, perhaps, for changing the profile. Good chisels don't like the heat produced. So if you want to use one, consider one of the quality wet machines (not one of the cheapies...) and remember you'll still want water stones or scary-sharp method to take them to "really sharp". That's something you can't do on a grinder.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Question WS3000 vs WS2000

I see Amazon has the WS2000 for $99 with free shipping, is this also a good machine? Whats the big difference between the 3000 and 2000?

I have the worksharp 3000. Love it. I've always hated sharpening - I do some woodcarving - but with the worksharp, no problem. It's well worth the money.

Jim I just squared the front edge of my chisel on my regular grinder & then went right to the WS3000 start to finished.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen