Thread: From Bluegrass to Boston

From Bluegrass to Boston

Folks---

An interesting turn of events has occurred. Here in the next few weeks, I'm going to be packing up and moving from Central KY to the Boston Metro area.

Anyway, I was wondering: How forceful is the vortex factor in the Boston area? Are there many others here on SMC who live in or around Boston? Oh, and Andy---Is Moxie just a Maine thing, or should I be ready to gain appreciation of its finer points?
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Welcome to New England, Henry. You wont have to venture too far out of downtown Boston to smell sawdust. Woodworking is very much alive in the Boston area with many clubs and organizations dedicated to our beloved hobby. As for Moxie wich was invented in my hometown of Lowell, Mass, it's something everybody should try. It is an aquired taste, although one which I have yet to aquire.
    I currently live on Cape Cod, which is only 60 miles south of Boston. When you get established, drop me a line and I'll show you around our beautiful little manmade island.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Don't fret Henry. You can find Moxie in all the finer mom and pops throughout Bahston.

Rumor has it - it's also about to make it's grand appearance in Missouri!
    Only the Blue Roads

Smile Bluegrass to Boston

Let me say that some of the nicest people you will ever meet reside in Massachusetts, but not the ones that go to D.C. However, since they don't speak English as we know it, you will have to be patient for a while to understand the lingo.

Wow, I would have struggled with this move if it were me. Lexington Ky area and Boston are two of my favorite places that Ive been. I envy you having lived (or soon to have lived) in both. Good luck with the relocation and hope you dont have to spend too much time out of the vortex!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Good luck. My youngest son lives in Boston w/ wife and two little girls. I love visiting them as the museums, restaurants, parks and everything but the weather and traffic are great. As for moxie, I'd rather drink turpentine, but the bars have spectacular offerings of beer and single malt.
    Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Does this mean we can start calling you a "city slicker" now Henry??
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Looks like you are in for quite the change! Only been to Boston once and absolutely loved it - so will you! People are great, lots of history there and the surrounding area and all the seafood you can eat! Have fun with it and make sure you keep us updated!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks, folks, for all the pepper-ups!

I'll keep an eye out for Moxie once I'm up there. Worst thing that happens is that it replaces coffee. As for the lingo, I already know that I'll have to order my coffee black (instead of regular), and have discovered that people look at you funny when you do.

My brother, Roy, has been living in the Boston metro area for a few years now. He's told me quite a bit about how Bostonians view history and antiquity. It'll be interesting to live in one of the oldest settled areas in the United States, especially since the residents truly respect their history and heritage.

Oh, and Hay---doesn't Norm Abram base the New Yankee Workshop out of that area?

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Henry,

There are three turning clubs within a short drive of Boston as well as two Rockler and WoodCraft stores. Woorturning and woodworking are both very active around here. I hope you like turning Maple and Oak, there is tons of it up here.

The biggest challange that you will experience moving up here is driving style, they don't call us Massholes for nuttin'

and yes, Norm is based about 20 miles due east of Boston.

Phil

Phil---

I've never tried oak, but have a little familiarity with maple. I'm glad to know that woodworking and woodturning are active pursuits!

As for driving style---I caught a hint of that while up with my brother. I'm not too terribly worried, though. If I can handle the ``starting gates'' in Chicago, I should be able to hack Boston's driving style.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Henry, I lived in Chicago and mastered the driving techniques there...I traveled to Boston and was quite scared while driving... good luck on the move, but be careful while driving....

?????????

and yes, Norm is based about 20 miles due east of Boston.

Phil, wouldn't that put his workshop in the Atlantic?

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Oops, Norm is Due west of Boston. He is in the same town as that last farm house with the barn that they did on TOH.

Henry, when you get settled, shoot me a PM and I will give you a nice big chunk of Red Oak to play with.