Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeve, gigantic plastic tool storage boxes

Pet peeve, gigantic plastic tool storage boxes

What do you guys do with those blow molded plastic tool storage boxes? Every time I get a new hand tool it seems to come in one of those gigantic plastic boxes. I just bought a new Hitachi router combo and the box is huge. I find keeping my tools in these boxes to be annoying, I keep them on shelfs or on my bench. Getting all this extra plastic is just a waste to me. I realize that some people use the boxes to move their tools to job sites but not me. I would like to be able to "opt out" of the storage box. Anyone have a idea how to make these boxes of more value to someone that normally keeps their tools on the bench?

ebay

I hate them also but construction/installers use them

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I hate the things as well. Often I just unpack the box rite there at the checkout counter and hand it back.

You could also donate them to your local airline baggage handler's, training institute.
    Mike Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinKCMO View Post
    Often I just unpack the box rite there at the checkout counter and hand it back.
    Huh? What if something is wrong with the tool & you need to return it?
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

I find they fit in the bandsaw just fine even though it is not a big bandsaw.

Tools that I use for jobsite work are in cases.

All others get stored on shelving, till the shelf gets overloaded.
    Then they go to the trash.

If it is a well made box, I use my router to cut around the inside shell to remove it. some times the inside is stick to the outer shell so you have to cut around it and trim by hand. makes great storage cases for items that other wise would just lay around and get dusty. (Short length of wire, vinyl lettering, old hinges and drawer pull you just can't throw away ) I label the boxes so I know what is in them when up on the shelf. the cheap ones go out in the trash. bad hinges and/or latches.

I think this was mentioned here before. My main concern about the plastic boxes is the proper disposal. The will not rot in a landfill. If your community has a recycling set up of any kind you should seriously consider sending these items to them. They are made of polyethylene (a petroleum based plastic) which is often refered to as Type 1 or 2 plastic in the recycling network. It is readily remaid into other items, saving all of us $$ in the long run as well as eliminating additional landfill problems. There....I just hugged a tree and kissed a whale, or was it the other way around??

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    It is readily remaid into other items, saving all of us $$ in the long run as well as eliminating additional landfill problems.
    I won't go into the details but it is debatable that you're really saving the environment or saving $$ by doing this. It has to do with the amount of energy it takes to recycle, (from picking it up to the new finished product) and how much that energy costs and how much the production of that energy pollutes. At best, recycling isn't as, "Warm and fuzzy" as the environmental lobby would have you believe. It would prevent them from ending up in the landfill though. But is America really running out of landfill space?

To keep this post on topic, I have the same problem as you guys regarding the storage of storage containers. I generally don't use the tool cases even when I'm taking the tools to a job site. But I just can't bring myself to throw them away because you just never know when you might change your mind...It seems that if enough people contacted the tool companies and told them we don't want the cases that they might decide to save some money and offer an option to buy the tool without the case at a slightly reduced price. I doubt that the cases cost them too much to produce though and for many tools they serve the purpose of packaging that's far more durable than cardboard and Styrofoam.

Bruce

I didn't read all of the posts to see if this was mentioned but I occasionally shop on that well know auction site for tool boxes that are made for some of my power tools. Right now I am looking for a box for a Skil HD77 skill saw. I got the saw new at Menard's for $109 because they were phasing out this model and replacing it with the Skil SHD77. Sneaky gloat. I have been looking for the HD77 saw for a few years but couldn't justify the $169 or higher cost.
    David B

Funny how attitudes change. Years ago people actually liked and demanded them, hence, manufacturers started to compete on who had the best. It is helpful, as already stated, when you send your tool back for repair or replacement.
    Gary

The real reason for the cases

If you notice the case is the only packaging for the tools that is the reason for them. Remove the case you end up having to ship the two seperatly with the tools crammed into foam packaging.

If it takes me a half an hour at the end of a work day to figure out how to cram everything back in to the case I throw it out and find something else.

If it is easy to put everything in its proper place I keep it.

Quite Simple in my book.

I prefer the older metal tool cases that had removable plastic trays. Often the new blow molded cases are so large and take up so much more room than the tools do I just don't have any room in my van for them

If I am not mistaken, the manufactuing costs are getting very cheap for these cases and are actually less environmentally Unhealthy than styro packaging.. as it can be recylced if needed.

What I like about them is some of the tools I own (like my router) dont get used all that often.. so it is nice for rust and dust prevention..

They are handy for accessory storage as well.
    A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet.

My next tool will be the last tool I ever need!

The blow molded case for my Bosch 1617EVSPK takes up one entire bay in my garage. It seems like some of the manufactures are in a type of contest who can make the biggest cases for their stuff. I think Dewalt or Bosch is probably in the lead.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Mine are in storage up in the eves in case I even sell a particular tool. Otherwise, I don't use them. Only Festool Systainers stay in my shop since they are actually useful and conveniently stackable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...