Thread: Morris Chair Finished (mostly) and Ammonia Fuming (pic heavy)

Morris Chair Finished (mostly) and Ammonia Fuming (pic heavy)

Some of you asked about the ammonia fuming process and pictures of the oak after it came out of the ammonia tent. My wife took a ton of good pics last night while I was finishing the chair so I've got a lot of examples so y'all can see how it works. Lots of detail shots. It's mostly finished because it still needs upholstery but my part is done.

This first pic is the back of the chair just out of the tent laying on my oak workbench. The workbench is about the color the back was before it went into the tent. This is 4 days in ammonia fumes.

This second shot is of the birch dowel pin I used to hold the arms on. Before it went in the tent the birch and oak were approximately the same tone.

This third shot is of the arm after fuming. You can see the sort of silvery-grey sheen that develops.

And the whole chair before finishing:

Here you can see the detail of the legs. I did drawbore mortises pinned with walnut pins for strength and aesthetics. It's a slight deviation from stickley's chair but I like the effect. Keeps the chair from being too plain. Note to self - wear gloves!!

Here is the chair after 2 coats of amber shellac. It looks more amber here than it actually is because of the flash.

And here is a pic of one of the arms. You can see how the grain reacts to fuming and shellac. The amount of depth and detail is incredible. You simply can't get this with stain or any sort of weird process besides ammonia.

Here is the complete chair. This is pretty much the actual color but it's a bit dark because I've got the flash turned off. This is 2 coats of shellac over fumed ammonia. I lightly sanded between coats with a grey scotchbright sanding pad. After the second coat I rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool, then applied some awesome beeswax wax my wife gets from some creative ladies at her office.

And this with the flash on:

And here is the completed chair:

Last edited by Marcus Ward; 12-01-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Wow, well, I have to ask ---- how many hours on that one?

That turned out wonderfully Marcus. I love the colour you achieved with the fuming...very mellow. Have you picked a fabric for the upholstery of this beast yet?!?
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I don't have an actual hour count, it's about 7 weeks every night after work and almost all of the weekends. It's the hardest thing I've ever built I think. Worth it though. My wife is going to do the upholstery, the chair is for her, so she gets to pick all that stuff. She's good at picking colors so I have no fears of it ending up with hot pink cushions.

Great job, Marcus. I can't wait to see the final product. Whats next? Matching ottoman? Side table?

Mark

Chair

Great job, Marcus. A lot of time and work but certainly worth it. I appreciate all of the pictures!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. A matching ottoman is probably in the works somewhere. I need to build some beams for the livingroom and she wants a sewing table so we'll have to see how it all shakes out. An ottoman would probably be a nice short project - no pun intended.

Marcus,

Very nice job on the chair. Thanks for sharing the fuming info. I had always heard that household ammonia was not strong enough. Nice to know it works, I want to give it a try one day.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

that turned out great, thanks for sharing the fuming info and some fo the tech details.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Marcus

Great job on the chair.. I would like to try fuming, as I work alot with QSWO.
    A couple of quick questions.

If you leave it fuming longer will the finished piece be darker, or does the oak only get so dark?
    Is there a specail kind or strenght of ammonia that one would use?
    And if the project is smaller could you assemble it and then do the fuming?

Again the chair looks fantastic...

Supposedly the longer you fume it the darker it gets but I imagine it will only get so dark. It has to do with the tannins in the wood so it's definitely a finite process.

I just used household ammonia. Stickley used very strong (anhydrous?) that was pumped into an iron pipe that was previously filled with boiling water to heat it and thus liberate the ammonia into the fuming chamber as fast as possible. Fuming chairs that way is very fast. My way is dead slow, but it doesn't take any special equipment or precautions either.

I assembled the chair before fuming. You can do it either way. I used 4 mil plastic to build a sort of tent over 2 sawhorses. For small items I put a casserole dish of ammonia in with the item into a plastic tote that is upside down. Works great. You're basically limited by how large of a container you can build - how much plastic, duct tape, and patience you have. I let my wife assemble this tent, she has more patience than I do.

Thanks again for the kind words guys.
    Last edited by Marcus Ward; 12-02-2007 at 12:33 AM.

I agree. Nice to know this can be done with household ammonia. I had always heard it took the really strong,toxic stuff. Several years ago, in some forgotten WW magazine, there was an article about a small shop furniture maker that put several finished pieces in a rented Ryder truck. Sealed it up overnight... instant fuming chamber!

Marcus,
    The chair is a sure winner. I'm glad you stuck to the fuming process because it really looks rich. It seems to me that spraying laquer is as dangerous as ammonia fuming. You need to take certain safeguards just like anything else. I plan on using ammonia for some white oak I'm planning on turning soon.
    Tanks for the pics.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

great!

This looks great! I love it that you fumed the chair. Are you going to put the maroon color leather cushions on it?

Be sure to put pictures up when it is totally done and in place in yoru home!
    Again Nice Job!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Oh I don't think ammonia fuming is that dangerous unless you're using anhydrous. Otherwise just don't sit there and inhale it.

I think my wife has green cushions in mind, it goes with our house better. No idea though, that's her gig. Thanks.