Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Nice job, John. How much does that thing weigh?

According to a 1974 catalogue, it weighs 265 lbs. without motor or stand. Because this is one of the earlier ones, it has the cast iron gear box cover instead of cast aluminum. With the cast iron cover and motor, I'm guessing in the area of 325 lbs.

Whatever, it's hard to move.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I have the cast iron base as well and it tips the scales @ close to 450#s.

John, I got a set of Freud knives from Amazon for less than $30.00 a couple of months ago. Just put them on and they work well. I got a set from Infinity a couple of years ago and they are very good as well. I doubt that you recall, but I have the video from Taunton Press of Robert Vaughan tuning up a Parks. It helps but the online instructions are the same. I had the chance to buy another one for $150.00 locally, but passed on it. Shoulda, woulda coulda!! Congrats on a great job on a great machine. Best wishes, John.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    I have the cast iron base as well and it tips the scales @ close to 450#s.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post

John, I got a set of Freud knives from Amazon for less than $30.00 a couple of months ago. Just put them on and they work well. I got a set from Infinity a couple of years ago and they are very good as well. I doubt that you recall, but I have the video from Taunton Press of Robert Vaughan tuning up a Parks. It helps but the online instructions are the same. I had the chance to buy another one for $150.00 locally, but passed on it. Shoulda, woulda coulda!! Congrats on a great job on a great machine. Best wishes, John.

Thanks for the advice John. I remember the offer to lend me the video. I've got the article and I think I'll be OK with that. I'll get a set or two of the knives from Amazon. Sounds like a good deal.

I don't think I'm going to be buying another project like this. It's rewarding when it's done, but I got pretty frustrated with the project. Now that I've done it, if I had the chance to pick one up that only needed to be cleaned, without all the rust and corrosion problems, I'd certainly consider it. It's not that hard if all you have to do is wipe it down and put it back together.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.