Thread: Resaw Rocking Horse Rockers W/Pics

Resaw Rocking Horse Rockers W/Pics

Well I laid out the rocking horse on a sheet of plywood and didn't like the looks of the rockers that were suggested. So I thought I'd make a set of rockers that fit my needs and sizes a little bit more.

In the first picture is the layout, 2nd is the bending fixture for the 40" radius. In the third picture I'm re-sawing the soft maple. Each piece is 5/16 and planed to 1/4 finish dimension. 4th pic is of the re-sawn pieces. I cut 7 but found that I only needed 5. The last pic is of the glue-up. Needed 23 clamps for this, most I've ever used at one time on the same project Darn, I had to buy two more clamps and a gallon of glue just for this job

I'll add to this thread and show how I used winding sticks to align the legs of the horse and to keep the rest of the saga going.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Looks good, Jim. You know, you could have come up the road and borrowed a couple I've never done any bending...now I'll know where to come for help.

Mark

Okay, the extra clamps for this I understand, but a GALLON of glue??!! Jeepers Jim, let's discuss squeeze-out.

Looks to me like you'll be cutting the glueup into two rockers? Or four?

Mark, thanks for the offer of the clamps and as to the bending. Seemed to me I'd seen Norm bend some wood like this when he was making a catapult to send cats into Minnesota

Tom I am making 2 rockers. As to the squeeze out, there was none. Soaked both sides liberally with glue and still didn't have any mess. If you need to fill a glue bottle come on over and I fill ya up.

A couple of more pics. I hope to get this done this weekend. It's been a long haul as I had to re-engineer the thing user larger/thicker pieces and make the rocker stand.

I also added a picture of LOML as she is the finishing/coloring expert here abouts I wanted to paint the rocker assy. black but she over-road me

The legs are supposed to align each other by using the print I bought. I found that as they are about 24" long I needed a better way of aligning them. What to use, what to use Ah, I remembered a picture/post about making a work top flat using winding sticks. Perfect solution! I did have a little trouble finding the right color of sticks as using just one color and they tend to blend into each other. I think it worked pretty good Horsey didn't "rock" on the bench top.