Thread: Can you add VS to a motor?

Can you add VS to a motor?

I have a JWL-1220 (the 12" mini) and the only thing about it I do not love is that it does not have VS. Can you wire a rheostat inline to the motor to do it? Or would that cause issues with the motor?

All the VS on the JET mini is is a rheostat, right?

You can't really do variable speed with a single-phase AC induction motor.

One common way to do variable-speed in woodworking tools is to use a 3-phase motor with some additional electronics.

So how does Jet do their 1/2 HP VS?

I have heard it works ok on the Jet Mini, but may suffer a loss of torque. Also Penn State offers a $100 1/2 HP upgrade kit for the mini. A buddy has it and it works fine, and he ended up with a nice little motor for a buffing station. Maybe Penn State will offer a 3/4 HP version some day.

Here is the link to that upgrade: pennstateind DOT com/store/tclvskit.html
    Jerry Hall

I bought the upgrade kit for the Jet from PSI but haven't had time to install it yet since my new Powermatic arrived.

When I do I'll try to post back. The kit does include an entirely new motor as well as new fittings -- and I am planning to use the old motor for buffing as well.

Anyone know if this kit would work with the Rikon mini? Doesn't appear that it would, but a guy can hope.

Chris, the PSI VS drive is a DC kit. It is extremely difficult to VS an induction motor without multiple pulleys.
    Bob

The only problem with that kit is that I would loose HP apparently. I have 3/4 now and the VS upgrade looks to be 1/2

Ya know Dean...you might want to look around on the internet a bit just for fun. I know GE is coming out with some Variable Frequency Drives for single phase induction motors....mainly for blower control and some automation stuff. Don't know much about them, but I've heard rumors that it's in the works.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Matthews View Post
    The only problem with that kit is that I would loose HP apparently. I have 3/4 now and the VS upgrade looks to be 1/2
    True. You could check on the internet. Leeson motors are available, but they are not cheap. IIRC, Craft Supplies sells one independently of the Vicmarc mini-lathe (which is a great lathe BTW-- like turning on a heavy lathe in a miniature size).

Periodically, Leeson's come up on Craig's list or ebay, but it's hit or miss.

Have you considered selling your Jet and buying the new one with VS and indexing? That might be another solution.
    Last edited by Dave Rudy; 12-05-2007 at 9:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rudy View Post
    True. You could check on the internet. Leeson motors are available, but they are not cheap. IIRC, Craft Supplies sells one independently of the Vicmarc mini-lathe (which is a great lathe BTW-- like turning on a heavy lathe in a miniature size).

Periodically, Leeson's come up on Craig's list or ebay, but it's hit or miss.

Have you considered selling your Jet and buying the new one with VS and indexing? That might be another solution.
    I have the indexing... only thing I do not have is the VS. It's not that it is impossible to use without... I can just see why you would want it sometimes.

Next lathe will be a LARGE lathe. I probably will always keep this one because I like the size of it and it is great for small projects. But the next batch of money to be spent on a machine is going to be a biggun

11. My jet mini has a variable drive made with a treadmill motor and controller. Will go from 0 rpm up to the max. Has a feed back circuit which prevents loss of torque at low speeds although it lags a little which doesn't bother me. Kind of a safety feature.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Matthews View Post
    the next batch of money to be spent on a machine is going to be a biggun
    Yeah I know what you mean. I now have mustard in my shop, right next to the Jet Mini which is presently dedicated to buffing.

It is an exicting and worthwhile machine.

13. Has any one tried one of the plugin speed controls made for routers on their mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Tanner View Post
    Has any one tried one of the plugin speed controls made for routers on their mini?
    Won't work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Tanner View Post
    Has any one tried one of the plugin speed controls made for routers on their mini?
    Rheostats cannot be used on induction motors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...