Thread: Ca/blo...

Ca/blo...

I have done the CA/BLO finish on a couple of pens and I really like the look. Well, I'm out of BLO and right before HD closed last night I went to pick some up. They didn't have the BLO, so I got Danish Oil. Will this stuff result in as good of a finish or should I just bring it back and get the BLO??? I know some people say tung oil or walnut oil works in combination with CA, but I haven't heard about the danish oil? Anybody, tried this?
    Isaiah 55:6-7

I would just bring it back and get the BLO. Just my opinion but don't think you will get the same results since it already has varnish in the Danish oil. Have you tried putting CA on without the BLO? I have quit using BLO/CA on my pens. I strickly use thin CA for the first coat and medium on the other 2 or 3 coats.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I seriously doubt that BLO is absolutely required. I've watched the "Finishing" videos produced by Russ Fairfield, and he talks about BLO being a lubricant for/in the process. So...I'd bet that almost any light (non-petroleum) oil would work, as long as you can "drive it off" with the heat of friction.

Personally, I gave up on the BLO/CA finish. I hated what it did to my eyes when applying it. And, I find that my customers prefer the feel of a softer finish. I'm currently using the Mylands finishes (sanding sealer and friction polish, 5 coats, followed by their wax). It gives a nice smooth finish that feels good in the hand.

In my "real" job as a university professor, I write a lot...and my daily "writer" with the Mylands finish has held up well over many, many months. One of my CA pens, OTOH, has gotten to look rather ratty.
    Phil

Actually I went to using Enduro sanding sealer and Enduro Top Coat from Beartooth Woods. It does take longer but does it give a nice finish. Then I top with either TSW from Arizona Silhouette or Renaissance wax.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

what look are you after?

after turning a couple thousand pens, i found the best finish is on your front shelf. ca glue finish is really a high luster look after a laquer finish. this is great for a "bling bling" effect. if you go for a softer finish, i found stabilized products finish perfectly with a sanding process up to 1500 grit, then just buffed. flawless.