Thread: Any Experience With DJM Classes at Woodworks?

Any Experience With DJM Classes at Woodworks?

I just saw DJM is scheduled to teach a class I'm interested in at a Woodworks in Loveland, CO in February. It's a bit of a drive from Colorado Springs, but if the classes are good, I'm willing to make the drive.

Has anyone on SMC ever attended a DJM class at Woodworks? If so, what's a typical cost? I'm also wondering of these classes are informative and a good value or a brief and distracted appearance by DJM. I understand DJM to be very professional and of high character, but I also know touring the country isn't easy.

I emailed the Loveland Woodworks for details and I'm waiting to hear back. I expect I'll have to act quickly to get a spot in the class and want to be sure it's a good move before I commit.

Thanks!

Pat,

I can't comment on the classes but thanks for pointing this out. Better hurry, I'm calling tomorrow morning. I checked the Loveland Woodcraft website and it looks like prices are around $100 for a half day and $250 for a full day class. He will also be at the Denver store.

I met David Marks at a woodworking show a couple of years ago. It was one of the highlights of the show. He was doing a presentation on inlays, and I found him to be a very nice and informative person.

He did a 2 day seminar here in mpls and I'd go see him again with no problem.
    I learnt quite a bit from his class and found he had a down to earth attitude, and a great sense of humor, a very enjoyable class.

I'd take the class if I was you, and I bet you'd enjoy it.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to sign up for the class.

Shoot. I'm on my way to work where I can't make a long distance call to Woodcraft. And, I work on an Air Force base with insane security: no cell phones in the building! I suppose I could make the 15 minute trek to my car at lunch.

DJM Class experience

Can't speak for the setting for your class, but I attended a two day course at David's shop in Santa Rosa, CA. Course was excellent, well thought out, prepared and delivered. I still use the techniques he taught, and I can tell you that's no small feat for a guy who can't remember what he had for dinner last night.

Saving my money to be able to attend another class.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

Does he REALLY dye his hair?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Does he REALLY dye his hair?
    Bill
    I heard that he stains it with a shellac topcoat

Gary

Dye his hair?.....I don't know about that...................but he's a great guy, that I do know. Don't miss out on an opportunity to be in a class of his or you will have really missed out on something special. The guy is a great teacher!! He is funny and open and knows his stuff when it comes to woodworking.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I got a slot in David's class! This is great. I was perusing his web site contemplating how I'd likely never be able to afford attending one of his classes. Then I saw the classes scheduled at Woodcraft. I couldn't believe he was actually teaching classes in Colorado.

Although, I don't understand why DJM is teaching in Loveland and not Colorado Springs. Loveland is a nice town, but it's much smaller than The Springs. I'll have to give the guys at The Springs Woodcraft a hard time about this. Wooh-Hoo! I can't wait.

Good for you Pat!!! Enjoy the class, you will not be dissapointed. The guy is, again, a great teacher who is full of tons of knowledge and a great personality to boot! Have Fun!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Speaking from experience, there is a very short list of woodworking instructors one should not pass up an opportunity to witness. David Marks is on that list, and very near the top. He simply knows his craft, and he is a most gifted teacher. I promise anyone that participates in a David Marks instructional course will come away not only a better woodworker, but a better person. Yes folks, he's that good.

Pat,

Which class? I signed up for the Saturday class on inlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Franks View Post
    Pat,

Which class? I signed up for the Saturday class on inlay.
    I signed up for the same class, Todd. The guy at Woodcraft said I was number four and there were only a few slots left. "The classes are that small?" I asked. He confirmed they were very small.

See you there, Todd! Be sure to bring a camera and I'll take a few happy snaps of you with David Marks.

For anyone interested, there's a revealing interview with David Marks on The Wood Whisperer web site, thewoodwhisperer.com . Try searching for "David Marks" within the site.

David and his wife talk about starting out early in their lives, making mistakes, how he got the Woodworks gig, and more. Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer) has also commented in a podcast that David Marks is a very spiritual person. I find that interesting because, call me crazy, I find woodworking to be a spiritual artform.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 12-04-2007 at 4:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I signed up for the same class, Todd. The guy at Woodcraft said I was number four and there were only a few slots left. "The classes are that small?" I asked. He confirmed they were very small.

See you there, Todd! Be sure to bring a camera and I'll take a few happy snaps of you with David Marks.

For anyone interested, there's a revealing interview with David Marks on The Wood Whisperer web site, thewoodwhisperer.com . Try searching for "David Marks" within the site.

David and his wife talk about starting out early in their lives, making mistakes, how he got the Woodworks gig, and more. Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer) has also commented in a podcast that David Marks is a very spiritual person. I find that interesting because, call me crazy, I find woodworking to be a spiritual artform.
    Pat,

Thanks for the link, see you in February.