Thread: Common ash lumber

Common ash lumber

I have a question about common lumber. I am going to be building a couple of end tables. After much research I have decided on ash. I actually have enough red oak to make the tables, I am just bored with oak and do not want to use it.

The sawmill I am purchasing from lists their lumber as clear and common. The difference in price is $1.00 per board foot.

Can anybody explain or provide pictures on the main differences in this lumber. When I asked the mill, they simply said the common will have a few more knots, which is essentially my understanding of the difference, along with what width the lumber is cut in to.

Has anybody built smaller projects out of common lumber?

Thanks for helping the new guy once again!

I think alot has to do with what your going to make. If you have a project with alot of short-like boards...you should be all set. I once did a mantle and surround and needed long boards without knots so bought the best they had. Back 12 years ago it was still reasonable price for ash.
    Gary

I am making end tables and the longest board i need is 22 inches long. So i think I should be set!

Thanks for your help!

If you are bored with oak, do not use ash. Unfinished it is just light colored oak, finished it looks just like oak. I have done may projects combining RO and Ash.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I don't think it's much a matter of look... But just working with a different reasonably priced hardwood.

Thanks for your help!

You might try getting a 50/50 mix of clear and common. Use the best boards for the top.

Ash is a beatiful wood. Very pretty and works well.

There are some pics in your future, right?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The cool thing is that the top on this table has ceramic til as most of the top. So you only have to cut 3 1/2 inch boards. I ordered common but may pick up some clear while i am there depending on how it looks.

I will put some pictures up when I pick up the lumber. I prolly won't put table pictures up because your guys work is incredible ... it puts mine to shame!

Keith,
    Don't forget that we ALL STARTED OUR JOURNEY AS BEGINNERS. Don't be intimidated by degrees of expertise. Learn from it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I work with ash all the time and I love it. I think the grain is more varied and it definately easier on the tools and wallet. I believe you are correct in saying common will have more percentage of knots and less clear lumber but for your sized project, you should be ok.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Devore View Post
    ...Can anybody explain or provide pictures on the main differences in this lumber. ...
    Check this publication from the AHEC, "The Illustrated Guide to American Hardwood Lumber Grades". Lots of pictures and explanations of the various hardwood grades.

My guess is that the "clear" terminology corresponds to the "FAS" grade and the "common" corresponds to "#1 Common" grade.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I disagree with James !!

Maybe it's because I have used a lot of both, but I can tell the difference between ash and oak about 95% of the time.
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    I disagree with James !!

Maybe it's because I have used a lot of both, but I can tell the difference between ash and oak about 95% of the time.
    Finished or unfinished? It also gets harder to tell the darker you finish it. Sure it you get really close and study the trained eye can tell the difference, but 95% of people would never know.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Common is typically described as having more "character". So much veneer today is "perfect", and the plastic tape veneer used everywhere in commercial junk furniture is "perfect", that "common" is somewhat in favor.

Todd

Thats an interesting point, Todd. I think thats what I will tell people.

Thanks for your help guys!