Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Performax Deal -Was anybody else charged?

That Performax Deal -Was anybody else charged?

I just noticed that I was charged for that cancelled Performax 22-44 deal with the funds transferred from my bank account. I assumed that because the deal was cancelled that the transaction never took place. Wrong! Apparently, it takes longer to return the money than to take it. If they did this with all of those orders then they are sitting on a whole lot of money. Anybody have an idea how long it should take for that money to be reinstated? I'd like to know if I should start raising a stink.

Blog Entries
    When (on the rare occasion) that I've given a refund, it takes about 5 to 7 business days for you to get your refund. After that I'd contact the vendor.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

They're not entitled to charge your card until it's shipped. Demand they ship you one at the price they charged you.
    Use the fence Luke

I would be going ballistic right about now.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

They may not have charged you but put a hold on that amount of funds until they ship. If you use a credit card for this it just reserves that amount out of your credit limit but if you use a debit card it reserves that amount from your checking account balance making it look like funds were removed.

I use an Amex (which technically has no limit) and I didn't see a charge on my card.

I've been charged as well.

I used Google Checkout and it appears to charge immediately once the order is placed.

I've received the cancellation email, like everyone else did, but have you noticed that they've not cancelled the actual order? This is the case at least for me.

I can still check the order status on the webpage, though it shows a blank order, and Google Checkout shows the status as "in progess".

The credit card charge already shows up on my online statement.

-Kevin

If you are using a credit card and the charge is there for 5 or so days before you get a credit back for the original debit, what is the problem?

You didn't have any actual money transferred out of checking/savings account.

Unless i am missing something, it was just a paper DR and another paper CR to your charge card.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    If you are using a credit card and the charge is there for 5 or so days before you get a credit back for the original debit, what is the problem?

Unless i am missing something, it was just a paper DR and another paper CR to your charge card.

joe

Did you miss that part about them not being able to charge your card until they ship it? "Ship it" technically means they have prepared a shipping label for it and hopefully applied it to the box and it's ready for a carrier to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Terre Hooks View Post
    Did you miss that part about them not being able to charge your card until they ship it? "Ship it" technically means they have prepared a shipping label for it and hopefully applied it to the box and it's ready for a carrier to pick up.
    First sentence, No I didn't see it, where?

Second sentence, I think you assumed that a computer printed a label and someone actually bothered to look at the particular order. Imagine 1000's of order that some warehouse manager needs to process. They don't look at all of them, just the next one in line.

(i am not trying to be a pain here, I just know how things like this work when the orders come in faster than they can be processed)
    Vortex! What Vortex?

And on top of that, they've not really canceled the order even though they have no intention of completing the sale.

As I mentioned above, not only was my credit card billed, but they have not notified the payment service (in my case Google Checkout) that they have canceled the order and to refund me my money.

Google Checkout has instantaneous status updates once the state of the order changes. It still currently shows "In progress" and has not had an update since the day the order was placed other than my request for status sent today.

The instant I issued a question to the seller via Google, it was logged in the Purchase History section. So it's immediate, and they've not actually canceled the order as far as the payment service is concerned.
    Last edited by Kevin Murdock; 12-04-2007 at 10:00 PM.

And, even if they do eventually refund the full amount, they are (illegally?) making money on the float!!

Your first sentence indicates the problem. The charge was deducted from my checking account. The money was actually transfered out of my bank. It's not just on paper. I don't remember setting Paypal up that way but apparently I did.
    I'm not bent out of shape over the whole deal yet. I am disappointed that I didn't get a sander at the advertised price, but I understand people make mistakes. I was a little surprised that the money was gone from my bank account already and not put back when the order was cancelled. I can wait 5-7 days if need be. I was mainly wondering when I should be concerned. So far, its just an annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post

joe

I don't think this is the law. I think it is a courtesy that some online stores do. When you ordered the sander, it was a contract to buy. They have every right to charge you immediately.

Now, I do agree that it's abusing the system to take their sweet time to reverse the charges, but unfortunately the law gives them time to do that, and they take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heflin View Post
    Your first sentence indicates the problem. The charge was deducted from my checking account. The money was actually transfered out of my bank. It's not just on paper. I don't remember setting Paypal up that way but apparently I did.
    Keep in mind that Paypal will take as much time as they are legally allowed to. I've had a seller instantly refund my money, but paypal took their time redepositing the money.

So, it might be paypal that's dragging their feet and making money off the float..

I think since they charged you they may be legal obligated to sell you the item at that price. Had they not charged you the fine print about pricing errors would apply, but I think because you were charged a contract exists. See if you follow (any lawyers feel free to correct me): 1) there was an offer 2) there was consideration on your part (your purchase action), and 3) there was acceptance/consideration on there part by the action of actually taking your money. I believe this would create a binding contract. Do not know if you want to call them on this or not though
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis