Thread: My interpretation of router workstation. Many pics

My interpretation of router workstation. Many pics

I have had this router table going on 2 years now. When I purchased the table I needed it for a job and did not have time to build a router center as I had originally planned. I just purchased legs and a dust collection box instead. What I found out is the legs were very stable and a good height for me and that the dust collection worked very well. A few weeks ago I decided to see if I could work the legs and dust box into my plans for my router work station.

I decided that being this is a pretty large table 32"x48" that I would have plenty of room between the stretchers between the legs. I think I ended up with a cabinet of ample size for me. Of course I am sure later I will wish it was larger but it seems like it will work for a good while.

The upper drawer has a writing surface made of Brazillian Cherry and Purple Hart. It also has storage under the writing surface for templates, books, etc. I wanted a wood that was dense and would resist crushing when writing on the surface. I have never worked with Brazillian Cherry but I can say it is some pretty hard stuff. The left side is for scales, tapes, pencils etc.

The second drawer is divided and the dividers are removable. This drawer was intende for essential router table gear.

The 3rd and 4th drawers are just open storage. However the bottom drawer has a 1/2" bottom so it can take a bit more weight.

Also being the table is very large, I wanted a way that I could support the weight of the lift, router, and dust box. Even though it is phenolic I still think it can sag towards the center of the table. I decided that I could take a piece of 1/8" steel strap and weld some 3/8" coupling nuts to the strap and then install cut off floor levelers, and jamb nuts. It sits on top edge of the cabinet and bolted down. The cabinet being made out of 3/4" plywood is plenty strong to support the weight. I was amazed how well it works. I could take the table from a little concave to a crown with just a little more than light pressure on the levelers. The table from side to side is within .003 or better down the entire length, and from front to back it is within .006 or better.

The mobile base is nothing more than the Woodcraft universal base. I must say these work very well and are super stable. The reason I just did not put casters on the legs was I could not find the casters that would fit the thread in the bottom of the leg.

I was also suprised how well the dust collection works both through the table but also the fence. I was concerned about putting the Y-fitting the way that I did but it collects very well. I secured the fittings to the shelf with 4" muffler clamps with vinyl tubing installed to protect the fittings and also as a little spacer.

I decided to spray the carcase with alkyd enamel. Probably was not the best decision. Construction was pretty quick but finishing has been very slow. The drawers were sprayed with satin Deft. At least that was pretty fast.

I hope I may have given some ideas what can be done with some of these pre-made metal bases etc.

Here are several pics. My camara is not the best but hope ya'll get the idea. The pictures were at different stages and in some of the photos the drawers do not have the fronts on them. I was literally waiting for the paint to dry.

Good Luck

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a few more pics.

Alan Cabinet pic 6.jpg

Cabinet Pic 7.jpg

That's a very nice setup, Alex. Way too neat in the drawers, however...you need to throw a few things in (literally) to make it more interesting... (Just kidding...very well organized!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is really nice. Did you use yellow formica, I really like it. Wouldn't happen to have an old set of plans laying around?

Thanks guys. The top is phenolic, and the legs. dust box, and IPM/fence were purchased as the cabinet makers system from Jointech. The rest came out of my head. My sketch that established the demensions are as close as I got to having any plans.

Thanks,

Alan

Nice job, I love the neat look of the thing overall and the storage it nice to have I bet. I need another router table like a hole in my head but I keep seeing these newer and better designs folks post here and makes me want a new one! Some great ideas coming out of the creek here lately on router tables. You guys stop it now!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hi Alan, Very nice set up. I've used a Jointech cabinet maker's system for several years and love it. I have one suggestion. Reverse the "Y" fitting that feeds the fence vacuum line into the main trunk going to the DC - this reversal will make for a much more streamlined/laminar airflow and improve overall DC performance. Brian

Where did you get the phenolic, I'm just south of St. Louis and cannot find it?

Ron I purchased the top from Jointech. I believe they even have a pretty good holiday sale going on. Phenolic can get pretty pricey If you want raw sheet I would check with a plastics supply house in your area they may have it, or be able to get it.

Brian, I agree with you 100% about the laminar flow with the Y turned around. But also with that being said it works like a champ the way it is and I don't have a funky kink in the hose. I had originally tried it both ways and they both worked and this way looked better without any significant sacrifice in performance.

Thanks,

Alan

Great set up Alan.... Real nice workmanship but I agree with Jim.... too neat...

Very nice!
    I like the anti sag idea..... I've got a Woodpeck phenolic one thats droopy... might have to plagerize that if I decide to make one, or maybe try to retro fit it onto mine til I get the "roundtuit" to making one that's not an extension off the side of the TS.

Greg

I wan't to thank ya'll for all of the positive comments. Neat is typically not part of my life. I am just glad that my camera has a pretty narrow field of veiw. However that is part of all of this effort trying to get my life and shop/garage more organized so I can be more productive. I have several other ideas for "tool furniture" which I am going to start pretty soon. As I progress on the projects I will start some new threads.

The Creek is such a valuable resource for me. From tool reviews, honest answers, and the ability to get my creative side going. There are so many great ideas I see every day.

Thanks,

Alan