Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop and glue

SawStop and glue

I'm planning on getting a SawStop in the near future and something occurred to me as I was using my current TS.(General 250)
    I didn't cleanup the excess glue very well on a couple of boards and was cutting the boards about 30 mins after I glued them.
    Would/could the brake kick activate on wet glue?
    Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Glue will not activate the brake, but clean the top if you get any on the iron
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

3. I'm going to ask you to think twice about buying the SawStop.

It's an expensive proposition. Posted here before about this; my point is this:

The idea with a TS is DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS CLOSE TO THE BLADE. It's really simple. It is my concern that a false sense of security about tools in general comes out of the SawStop mentality. A wood shop is an inherently dangerous place with a whole lot of stuff that can bite you, sting you and cut you if you stop and think about it.

Instead of throwing a pile of dough at a Saw Stop, I would heartly suggest developing a safety discipline in general and either pocket the savings or use your money elsewhere in a shop.

I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's 2 cents and you can keep the change.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

Here we go again!!!!!
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    I'm going to ask you to think twice about buying the SawStop.
    I don't want to go too off-topic from my original post but..I could tell you how I've thought about it not twice but 50 times but it wouldn't really matter.
    You see I showed the hotdog video to SWMBO, she looked at me...no, let me rephrase that, she gave me "The LOOK" and said to buy it. I dunno about you but I, for one, don't argue with The LOOK.

This "buy or don't buy" issue about the Saw Stop is makin' me weary. Let's adopt a "to each his own" policy on the subject. H#$l, I rip on a RAS.
    I don't have a SS, ain't gonna get a SS, but if my Bud down the street wants one, I'll help him unload the danged thing.
    Now I feel better.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Brian,
    Congratulations! I got the same LOOK from SWMBO after showing her the videos and have a SawStop. You won't regret your purchase. It's a fantastic saw. I find that I work safer on it than I did on my old Craftsman and the guard is always on it unless I'm doing a cut where it gets in the way. It's so very to remove and replace.

On your original topic, I see no problems with the glue as long as it's actually dry. Glue is not a conductor. Only the liquid that is in it can conduct electricity. That's what sets off the brake.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

From experience, wet glue won't activate the brake nor will wet pressure treated lumber or the occasional small staple in a pine 2x4. Not that a real woodworker would ever cut these things on a nice tablesaw.

Safety issue aside... If one decides to spend the money on a SS are you getting a high quality functioning saw??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    I'm going to ask you to think twice about buying the SawStop.

It's an expensive proposition. Posted here before about this; my point is this:

The idea with a TS is DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS CLOSE TO THE BLADE. It's really simple. It is my concern that a false sense of security about tools in general comes out of the SawStop mentality. A wood shop is an inherently dangerous place with a whole lot of stuff that can bite you, sting you and cut you if you stop and think about it.

Instead of throwing a pile of dough at a Saw Stop, I would heartly suggest developing a safety discipline in general and either pocket the savings or use your money elsewhere in a shop.

I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's 2 cents and you can keep the change.

Have you used one? I have one and would not be without it. I never think about the brake, I just think "Man, I love this saw"
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    From experience, wet glue won't activate the brake nor will wet pressure treated lumber or the occasional small staple in a pine 2x4. Not that a real woodworker would ever cut these things on a nice tablesaw.

So how do you know "how wet" the stock can be to not trip it???????????

Just curious , I do not have nor do I plan on buying a S/S saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    This "buy or don't buy" issue about the Saw Stop is makin' me weary. Let's adopt a "to each his own" policy on the subject. H#$l, I rip on a RAS.
    I don't have a SS, ain't gonna get a SS, but if my Bud down the street wants one, I'll help him unload the danged thing.
    Now I feel better.
    Bill
    Amen. And from what I've read, and seen in person, a very high quality TS.

Why must it be assumed that if someone purchases a sawstop, they are all of the sudden going to start neglecting personal safety and begin to try free hand cutting?

I think that when it comes down to it, id still be careful because if i make a mistake....it costs me some money and time since i would need a new brake and blade.

Couldn't someone argue that just having a blade guard on the saw makes one neglect personal safety? Essentially the guard and the brake are both attempting to keep the user safe. Id say its like seat belts and air bags for cars. But then again, I once heard that a study found that seat belts and air bags made drivers feel safer and therefore more reckless....hmm haha

In the end, I do agree with Jeff in that do not get a false sense of security. Its always a good idea to assume any safety feature will fail and your own personal choices are most influential line of defense in whether you get hurt or not. Such as with driving, always assume the other driver will do the dumbest thing.

If you can afford the Sawstop, why not? Ive seen it in person and it really is a nice saw regardless of safety features.

Even without the safety feature, I'd buy the Saw Stop...super nice saw. However, my Griz 1023Z refuses to die so I'll just have to "get by" somehow....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I was cutting a lot of laminate on a Sawstop. One batch was metalic looking and I wondered if it would be a problem. I tested it by touching a piece to the table and blade and it lit up the warning light so I disabled the brake while cutting that batch.

I can understand people having differing opinions on the saw but to ask someone to reconsider a purchase because of some outdated thinking with no personal experiance is beyond me. Beside the safety features my impression from using the saw is that it is a top quality tool.