Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freud Box Joint Set $58.95 at Amazon

Freud Box Joint Set $58.95 at Amazon

Just a heads up that Amazon now has the Freud Box Joint saw blade set that has two blades and cuts 1/4 and 3/8 box joints on sale for $59 plus shipping. Looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ASGV1E/...13870_pe_ar_d6

Blog Entries
    I'll step in and speak up for the set of blades. I just used my set for the first time and I got some pretty good results with them. And that isn't a bad price. I think I paid around $80 for the set.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Note that this deal is from DK Tools and not directly from Amazon. It'll incur s/h of $10.75. Still a pretty good deal, but it's not eligible for free shipping or their 20% promotion.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You can get it cheaper by adding the Amazon-sold version to your cart, getting the free-shipping, and using "BLDPROMO". Total = $63.92.

Thanks, got one on the way...$63.92

Had a $25 gift receipt on file... so $38.92 out of pocket now. Whooop! Its been ordered
    One good turn deserves another

Gene O. Carpenter Guest
    You definitely won't be sorry you bought it! Early last Spring one of my daughters asked me to make her a paper towel holder with a drawer and it would sit on a counter top.
    I told her to make a sketch and email it to me( she lives out toward Philli Pa)When I got I looked it over and decided that finger joints would be best for this little project BUT I've never cut any FJ's and frankly I had my doubts about doing it with a home built jig! I had been seeing this Freud BJ saw blade set but the $89+ was a tad too much!
    I was Googeling one evening and put that name into the search engine..t spit out a long list and I went to Amazon, got it for $69 + $5 shpng.
    When it arrived I read the instructions, built a sled for both sizes, prepped my side rails, both ends, made the front and back the same way, adjusted the Biese fence to 3/16" from the blade, ran the 4 pieces thru and made a 3/8" Rabbit, readjusted the blade and put them thru again ,now my 1/4" bottom fit right in.
    I sanded it thoroughly, Took a scrap of Chestnut and planed it to 1/4" ran a 1/4" round over around the edges, attached with Gorilla and 2 screws, slapped on 2 2"Maple pulls that have been laying around for 40 years. Made the carcase, slapped a coat of sanding sealer and then sanded good.
    I packed it up with a note to paint it any way she wanted to. Well her fiance came by, saw it on the counter and asked where she had bought it! When she said "Pop" built it, he said no way, those corner joints were done in a cabinet shop!
    That was my 1st FJ drawer project and it was worth the $74 cost of the blade set just to hear her talk about that pitiful little PT Rack made from scrap material..
    So buy it but when you mill the 1/4 and 3/8 gauge/spacer pins mill enough to make some spares just in case you ever need them...

The blade set works very well.....better yet if you have

the following jig from Woodsmith:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3182

Just a question - why wouldn't you use regular dado blades to cut box joints? Why this special blade set for box joints?

I've used a dado set to cut box joints in the past. Seems that a dado set would be useful for a variety of joints, although it would cost a bit more.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Just a question - why wouldn't you use regular dado blades to cut box joints? Why this special blade set for box joints?

I've used a dado set to cut box joints in the past. Seems that a dado set would be useful for a variety of joints, although it would cost a bit more.

Mike
    Mike, I don't own a set of dado blades, but I do own both the finger joint blades and the jig I listed above. The teeth on these blades cut out a perfectly square (flat) joint on both the 1/4" and 3/8" setting. If a dado set can make the same cut, I would see no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    I have wondered the same thing Mike, as I have used my dado set for box joints. Apparently the cuts are cleaner and more consistent on the width of cut.
    Gary

With my dado blade, the bottom of the cut looks more like an M than a square flat cut. These blades produce a flat bottom cut.

Gene O. Carpenter Guest
    I've seen that Alum miter fence jig before but it's a $100 item when you can fabricate the same thing from scrap crap from the "too good to throw away box" and wing it with your WW or Fr blade but with this Freud BJ set you can make both size FJ's and still use it as a dado blade simply by readjusting the fence and passing the work piece thru again.
    By using a short disposable piece of scrap, for dado width measurement purposes, thru after making each pass and you can make a 3/8" dado into a 1" and make them as loose or tight as you want.
    You can also "worry" Tenons or use it with your "Tenon Jig". With the blades back to back for a 3/8" kerf it will remove that outside tab that requires another pass thru which also requires another blade fence adjustment..

So the Freud SBOX8 is also a poor man's dado set! At least it will be for me as I don't have a dado blade BUT I did buy a set of plywood thickness matched router bits!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Peterson View Post
    You can get it cheaper by adding the Amazon-sold version to your cart, getting the free-shipping, and using "BLDPROMO". Total = $63.92.
    Has anyone been able to find and Amazon sold version? I can't, just the DK Tools source.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Just put it in your cart and go to checkout. When you get to the " Enter new gift cards, gift certificates or promotional claim codes" add enter "BLDPROMO" and the appy it and the price should reflect the discount.