Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logging question re logs suitable for ww'ing

Looks punky. Looks like more firewood.

Todd

Todd,

What Eagle eyes you have. Yes, this was done before moving to Houston from Michigan - alas Houston houses don't have basements.

Have no fear however, the wheels of engineering creativity are already spinning to overcome that problem - in the form of a computer controlled dehumidifer kiln.

I am still in the process of setting up my shop and don't have my Logosol mill here yet, so I havent cut any lumber since February.

Rob - if the small logs aren't punky, then try it out on those. For more information (and/or to get addicted to milling), check out the Milling forum on Arboristsite (dot com).

Ted
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ted Christiansen; 12-10-2007 at 7:21 PM.

I haven't heard the term 'punky' before, at least to describe wood, but it doesn't sound so good. If forgot to mention, though it's obvious, that the tree was taken down because it was rotted--you can see that in some sections there's barely a rim of wood with most of it being hollow.

So is that discoloration on the solid logs early rot? Should one avoid slices with that part, or is that what gives wood figure? This is starting to look more like firewood...

Rob,

Punky=rot. However, logs when freshly cut have lot of water in them, which darkens the wood a bit, particularly the heartwood. Try the smaller logs. If nothing else you will have some firewood slabs that will dry quickly!

Ted

Rob, you can jam a screwdriver or other such object into the end of the log there, both around the rim and in the center. My guess is that the screwdriver will go quite a bit deeper in the center area, and if that's the case, it wouldn't even make good firewood - splitting will be tough too - as you'll be relegated to working the rim.

Ted, when you get that mill down here and fired up, let me know and I'll bring over some cold beverages and we can talk about it.

Todd

Todd