Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Oscillating Sander Recommendations

Wanted - Oscillating Sander Recommendations

Can someone please recommend a good oscillating sander for light to medium work. I've just spent the better part of a day hand-sanding walnut reindeer (pic attached - I think) and need to find a better way. Thanks.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    Can someone please recommend a good oscillating sander for light to medium work. I've just spent the better part of a day hand-sanding walnut reindeer (pic attached - I think) and need to find a better way. Thanks.

Steve

Steve - Those are nice looking ornaments. Based on the time you took to make them, I am guessing maybe a price of 300 dollars each?

I have been looking at osc. sanders myself lately and the JET benchtop unit gets great reviews. It's got a 5 year warranty, the table will tilt if needed, and the spindle will accept a large 3" drum. I think the selection of drums that comes with the unit are up to 2.5" but others may chime in here and correct me on that one.

I almost bought one last week but it turned out the box was too heavy/big to easily check at the airport when I was flying home so I am working a different "angle" to get one now.

Good luck
    Lewis

Nice reindeer!
    The ridgid one that also turns into a belt sander has only only got good reviews from what I have seen.I havent seen a bad one yet. Im waiting to see one on CL. I think there 200 new.

I bought the Delta BOSS when I needed the capability for what you're doing. It's worked great for me. The built-in blower/dust collection bag doesn't work so hot on my unit but hooked up to the shopvac it's more than adequate. I later bought the Ridgid belt/drum sander and it works well also and gives you the tilt table capability. I actually never used the drum sanders by themselves yet, I just end up using the round end of the belt since I'm usually sanding both straight and curved pieces at the same time. It has the 2-1/2" dust port and hooked up to my DC there is next to no dust either.

I've never tried any of the other units but these have easily sufficed for me with light to medium duty demands.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I like the Ridgid. I think it would be perfect for "light to medium" work.

PC-121 Oscillating/Spindle sander anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. $199. Had mine for 6 months and have been pleased.

Same as Danny, the Ridgid sander has worked very well for me, I built a cabinet to sit it on and store stuff for it and my ROS in it.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I have the Jet benchtop, and I've never been happy with it. In a shop in which Jet/Powermatic is the most prevelent brand, it is really the only machine I have a problem with. The action of the sander itself works well enough but I have a LOT of trouble getting new sanding sleeves on. They never seem to want to go on all the way.

Ridgid.

Love it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Jet bench top... I really enjoy using it.

Howie

Blog Entries
    I've used a Delta Boss, a Wilton and whatever Harbor Freight has, but there is no comparison, I like my Ridgid the best. Quiet, powerfull, easy to swap sizes, good dust collection, large table, and the belt sander. Very happy with no intent to upgrade.

Jet floor model OSS love the extra weight and table size price is the only con. It will take a 4" drum

I used to work in the hardware section of Home Depot. The only gripe I ever heard about the Ridgid unit is that HD does not carry the sanding sleeves, and the only in-store replacement we could order was the Ryobi sleeves which didn't fit the largest drum. Other than that, a very good unit for the price.

Just recieved the Griz (Green Twin of the Jet), almost 300# With 25" x 25" cast iron table 10 sizes of spindles 1hp! A considerable step up from my little Ryobi bench top. Thanks Pappa G! Two day delivery right to my shop thanks to Mike with Saia.