Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forrest WW II - destroyed or salvageable

Forrest WW II - destroyed or salvageable

Last night I was ripping a board with my WW II and hit a piece of metal which did quite a bit of damage to my beloved 40-tooth WW II. It ripped about 5 of the carbide tips off and chipped most of the others. A replacement is already on it's way via Santa. My question, is it worth it to have this one repaired to be used as a spare or should I just trash it?

Stupid $100.00 mistake.

I would say no! By the time Forrest fixes it and ships it and you ship it to them, you will have $50 in a used blade. Often Forrest are on sale and many of the Freud blades are around $40 and they are great! That is what I have been using.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I'd send it to Forrest and see what they say. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting anyone else try a repair of that sort on a different manufacturers blade.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

That's ugly...

...but you're a lucky fellow if you didn't have to pick any of the loose pieces out of your hide.
    Forrest can replace teeth and dress the set anew. I don't recall the charge per tooth. You're starting with 5 missing teeth, and the count might rise depending on the meaning of "chipped."
    Before you call, you might want to check the blade runout. It too might have suffered from collision with the hidden metal.
    The math doesn't look good: (5 missing teeth) + (unknown # chipped beyond repair) + (dress the set) + (correct runout if necessary) + (2 way shipping) = ???
    If nothing else, the blade will make a face for a shop clock---instant conversation piece.

Bob

Get an estimate from Forrest and then decide

I think you guys have confirmed my suspicion. Gonna trash it. Bob V - I definitely consider myself lucky that I didn't get hit with any of them.

Runout is also an issue that I had considered and even if the teeth were repaired I am not sure that I would not always question it.

Trash bin it goes.

Stupid $100.00 mistake.

Of course, sending it back to them with an explination as to how the damage occured might do two things;
    1) Give them a chance to examine the damage and possibly improve the design based on "real world" events, and/or
    2) Allow them the opportunity to fix the blade and send it back as a jesture of good will since as a loyal customer you purchased the blade in the first place.

If they don't see it they can't fix it.... Sorry to hear about your mishap... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

At least recycle it or save it for a clock face!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Forrest has a schedule of fees for different services on their website if you want to check it out. On top of the $20.50 sharpening fee, it looks like teeth will be around $3 a pop. This does not include the cost of shipping the blade to Forrest and the $8 charge for them to ship it back. I agree that you should buy a new blade; you could probably get another WWII for around the same price.

I would let a local, trusted saw shop replace the "missing" teeth, sharpen the whole thing and save it for "rough" lumber.

I wouldn't "trash it".

I checked the fee schedule again after re-reading your post. It looks like if they have to retip all of the teeth, then they charge you 80% of the retail price of the blade (ouch), not including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    Of course, sending it back to them with an explination as to how the damage occured might do two things;
    1) Give them a chance to examine the damage and possibly improve the design based on "real world" events, and/or
    2) Allow them the opportunity to fix the blade and send it back as a jesture of good will since as a loyal customer you purchased the blade in the first place.

If they don't see it they can't fix it.... Sorry to hear about your mishap... Ken
    I like Ken's idea rather than just chunking it. I'm sure Forrest does a lot of destructive testing to their blades during research but real-world results might help them (and eventually us) develop an improved blade.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need to invest in a metal detector as an insurance policy for your blades. One of these is less than half the price of a new blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's sounding like it won't be cost effective to send it back to Forrest, but perhaps a competent local sharpener or someone like Scott Whiting can breath some life into it for a reasonable cost so you can at least get some use out of it.

If you send it to Scott, it might be a good time to have another blade sharpened...it's not much more to ship two blades than one.

Good luck and give us an update!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I know there are multiple grinds on Forrest blades, I was wondering if the chipped teeth, are not bad enough, the grind could be changed, then you only have the five teeth replacement.

Just one more option that would make me at least send it in to them for examination.