Thread: G0640X 17" Metal/Wood Bandsaw w/Inverter Motor

G0640X 17" Metal/Wood Bandsaw w/Inverter Motor

I've been reading the posts on all the different bandsaws and I'm in desperate need of a bigger handsaw. I took down a barn and need to resaw a bunch of the ponderosa pine floor joists. They are 10/4 by about 20'. The new house I'm building in the old barns place is going to have nice ponderosa doors and trim. After looking for quite a while I ordered the G0640X 17" Metal/Wood band saw w/Inverter Motor. I just received an email from Grizzly that it will not be available until about Dec 28th. I'm wondering if I should order a different bandsaw that is available immediately, or is it worth waiting for what sounds like a really cool metal/wood bandsaw. It seems like a bandsaw that can cut both metal and wood could be real handy, although I don't work with metal to often (maybe because I don't have the equipment).

What are peoples experience with dual purpose machines like this?

the 513x is the wood-only version of that saw. I've owned one in the past and was very pleased with it. The latest batch of bandsaws from griz has been very good. I don't work metal but that variable speed looks cool.

Thats what I was thinking. I can't see a downside to getting a machine that can cut both wood and metal.

I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing, but other more experienced woodworkers were hesitant to contaminate their wood working tools with metal.

Also, I don't know how it would affect dust collection. Metal in the DC system can spark and start a nasty fire or even cause an explosion.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    I don't work metal but that variable speed looks cool.
    You are paying several hundred dollars premium for variable speed, which I don't think really buys you any advantages if you only work wood. On the flip side, it looks beefier then the rest of the 17" BS (except the G0636X Ultimate), has the same fence as the 0636X, and has the rack and pinion table tilt like the 19" and above. It might be worth it even if you don't need variable speed (which I do).

The real problem I have with sharing one tool for both metal and wood is that most metal that I play with is very dirty; covered with a layer of grease, oil, and rust. You probably don't want to risk any of that getting embedded in the fine woods you work with. I would like a vertical bandsaw for metal cutting (to complement the 4x6 and plasma cutter), but I am not sure if there might be some compromises in this bandsaw that reduce it's utility as a metal saw. Of course, the alternative is either a wilton 14" for similar price (which doesn't look nearly as nice) or something that is several thousand dollars.
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 12-10-2007 at 6:36 PM.

I share my drill press with wood and metal. I use the Delta supplied table when I drill metal and I have a shop made table for wood. Metal work can be dirty and its important to clean up thoroughly before going back to woodworking. I was looking at the Band Saw and it seems to be a good saw if I only used it for wood and it never touched metal. For the price of a metal blade, it looks like it can be very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by gerford carter View Post
    I took down a barn and need to resaw a bunch of the ponderosa pine floor joists. They are 10/4 by about 20'.
    Gerford, Not to rain on your parade, but I'd suggest a having those milled on bandmill if you're going to try and run them though in 20' lengths. You're going to really struggle with beams that size trying to resaw them on anything but a large dedicated commercial resaw machine.

Pandorosa pine weighs about 3.1 lb per board foot. That means your 10"X2.5" X 20 foot beam is about 41 bf and going to weight somewhere around 130lbs. Shorter lengths would be easier, but it's going to be a real workout for you and the saw. Sometimes it's cheaper physically and cash wise to sub out that kind of stuff.

Reminds me of making 5000'LF of T&G from 16' 2X6 for our sun room. Sounded easy in theory, but it was WAY more work than I anticipated and I killed a TS and dado blade in the process. 3 days straight shoving 16' 2X6 though a TS is NOT fun or entertaining. I would have been far cheaper to buy the T&G. Of course I did get a new cabinet saw so it wasn't a complete wash.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike
    I will be cutting them down before running them through the band saw. Likely 7' for the door and maybe 10' for the trim. I'll also be cutting them to about 4 1/2" wide to make them easier to handle. It would be a chore to run them through as is and taking to a bigger shop is a great idea.