Thread: 20" planer vs. Benchtop Planer (finish)

20" planer vs. Benchtop Planer (finish)

i got a really good deal on a Jet 20" 5HP 3 phase planer...for some reason Amazon had it on sale for something like $800. Here's a link to the model http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_20-planer.html

anyway, what should i expect as far as finish goes? i haven't used it much but it seems i'm getting a fair amount of tearout on some alder.

Don't know how it will do, but, Do you really have three phase in the shop?

Rob Will Guest
    With all the money you saved, you can buy a BYRD head to fit that 20" planer. This is a stock item for them.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Don't know how it will do, but, Do you really have three phase in the shop?
    I was thinking the same thing.

If you intend to run this on single phase you'll need a phase converter, if you already have 3 phase then you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    i got a really good deal on a Jet 20" 5HP 3 phase planer...for some reason Amazon had it on sale for something like $800. Here's a link to the model http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_20-planer.html

anyway, what should i expect as far as finish goes? i haven't used it much but it seems i'm getting a fair amount of tearout on some alder.

Have you tried to reverse the direction of the alder when feeding?and how much are you trying to remove in a single pass?
    You could try cleaning the cutting knives with simple green. Sometimes the leading edge of the knives get "wood gunk" on them. You may also want to get a second set of knives have them sharpened and then change out the knives.

BTW. Nice gloat on the planer.

i have three phase so that's no problem. I bought an inverter that can generate 3 phase for also a really good deal.

Also, the planer's brand new so the knives should be clean and sharp.

Yea, i looked at the Byrd cutterhead -- more than i paid for the planer. I couldn't justify that if i had to. My next big purchase is going to be a cyclone.

I see there is a slow speed feed kit available for that planer. With your current setup, how fast will it feed an 8' board through? How much are you taking off in a single pass? Have you felt the knives to see how sharp they are? You could run a stone across the knives (without even taking them out of the machine) for a quick touch-up.

Todd

Well, today it's $1470, so you certainly got a great deal.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Congrats on the amazon deal. That is how I re-outfitted my shop in the BIG Delta tools last year (and early this year). As far as the cyclone, the Delta 5hp went for $700 late last year in single phase on amazon.

In reply to your original question, if you have a good lunchbox planer like the Dewalt 735 or the Ridgid TP1300LS, you will probably not see any improvement in the finish with the new planer.

ok, i just finished a couple panels for some doors. one finished out fine and the other tore out so bad i'll have to throw it out and try again. im' getting tearout as much as 1/8" easily.

yea i noticed that there was a slow speed kit too and i'm likely to buy it if i think it'll solve the problem.

cut rate = 20,000 cuts/minute over 24 feet/min = 833 cuts/foot.

I've got a DJ20 joiner and I get a better surface on it than the planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Briggs View Post
    It was. at the time i didn't have 3 phase but i'd been toying with the idea cause i'd like to have a really big joiner one day (have an 8" today).

The deal was so good i had to verify it was the right machine when it arrived...i was still kind of doubting it, but it was. Now i just wish it would plane really nice. It sucks some because it's one of those purchases you kind of justify w/the wife -- 'we'll have it forever, ...' the last thing i want to mention is it's not doing as good a job as my delta benchtop planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Briggs View Post
    I am amazed at how this happens. I wish there was a way to get alerts to tools that make that kind of price drop. I know there is that one tool that you enter the item number and it will email you if the price changes but what about those tools that suddenly drop 50%? I wish there was a way to get notified....just a dream I guess....

John

John - actually it was a post on this board that alerted me to it so if you stay tuned to this board it'll help.