Thread: Mechanical help?

Mechanical help?

In the course fo doing some maintenance on my MiniMax 14" jointer/planer, I discovered that there was rust both on the cutterhead bearings, as well as the cast iron block that houses them. What was once a fairly simple task, removing the head, became very difficult, as the bearings were essentially frozen into the block. With some persuasion from a wooden mallet, they eventually seperated.

Of course this had to happen on the weekend when I can't call MM, so I'm asking here.

I think I'll have the bearings replaced, as the outer surface looks kind of groaty. Here is a pic after it was cleaned up.

I took a bit of 1500 grit sandpaper to the cast iron block the bearings seat in, but didn't want to disturb the fit, so just went lightly. There isn't any pitting, but it didn't clean up entirely.

I still have the old Tersa head, with it's own bearings intact, so I think I'll put that back until I can get this sorted out.

My two main questions are: Why did this happen?, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Should I have greased the cavities before intalling the new head?

Do I have to remove all of the rust on the block to keep it from coming back, and if so, how, without creating a loose fit?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan,

Looks like some moisture might have caused the light rust, humidity also can cause this. It looks very light so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

After a thorough cleaning I'd reassemble it and put a light coating of grease or Never Seize. These lubricants will protect the surfaces for a long period of time against any changes in humidity preventing the rust from returning.

I don't think a light oil is suitable as it may evaporate over time as well.

I would try a coat of this on those surfaces.

Humidity is most likely your enemy here. Honestly though, I don't know that I would be too worried about the surface rust on the outside of the bearing as long as the fit between the bearing block and the outer race is good.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

the outside of a bearing means very little. if it was too shiny that would be another matter.

Thanks, looks like a good cleaning of the outside surfaces with mineral spirits followed by a touch of grease should do the trick. I don't know how moisture would have gotten in there, I don't have a problem with rust on any of my other tools, except in relation to fingerprints, and the shop generally stays below 50% humidity. I wonder if I contaminated the surfaces when I was changing out the cutter head earlier. That would be my guess.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I wonder if I contaminated the surfaces when I was changing out the cutter head earlier. That would be my guess.

Dan
    That would be my guess.
    If the sealed bearings rotate freely then I wouldn’t worry about it. Apply a thin film of white lithium grease to the journals and bearing surfaces and reinstall.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney