Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highland Woodworking

Highland Woodworking

I placed a small order with Highland last week, and despite 3 emails to them asking "what's up?" I've got no response and the order is just sitting there. An Amazon and a Lee Valley placed the same day arrived Wednesday. I've ordered from them in the past without any problems.

Anybody know if Highland is still alive?

bd

I called last week with a question, they seemed to be alive and well at that time, pick up the phone and give them a ring 800 241-6748.

Heather

Maybe call them??? duh.

I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago. They aren't as responsive as Woodcraft or Hartville Tool, but everything arrived in a timely manner. They sent me a confirmation email with an order number that never worked on their websight, but like I said all was well. In this world with the internet, I like tracking numbers and enjoy tracking my packages through every stop. No tracking number from Highland.

I placed an order on Wednesday. It shipped Thursday, but I never got a tracking number. I just called them and they were super nice and gave me the tracking number. My package should arrive Monday.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up. (duh!) And at the end of the day - I shouldn't have to.

Here's the story:

1. It's Christmas - they are busy.
    2. They are changing over their computer system. (really bad timing IMHO)
    3. The item was out of stock.
    4. The out of stock item has no ETA.

With some regret, I canceled the order. It's going to cost me more to get things from Lee Valley - but I know from their site that what I want is in stock. And from experience, I know I'll have it in a couple days - no fuss, no muss.

<rant>
    Nothing personal against Highland - but if I were them, I'd either get out of the web or get more serious about it. (Maybe that's what their computer upgrade is addressing). They aren't the only game in town - 3 emails (with no responses) and a phone call to find out "What's up?" is crazy in the "information age". I know until I see some changes in their web presence, I'm going to focus my shopping at web sites (Lee Valley, Amazon, and Woodcraft spring to mind) that are more responsive. Bottom line - Price isn't everything - Customers shouldn't be ignored or kept guessing.
    </rant>

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post
    Nothing personal against Highland - but if I were them, I'd either get out of the web or get more serious about it. (Maybe that's what their computer upgrade is addressing). They aren't the only game in town - 3 emails (with no responses) and a phone call to find out "What's up?" is crazy in the "information age". I know until I see some changes in their web presence, I'm going to focus my shopping at web sites (Lee Valley, Amazon, and Woodcraft spring to mind) that are more responsive. Bottom line - Price isn't everything - Customers shouldn't be ignored or kept guessing.
    I agree Brian. I have ordered several times from Highland and it always took longer to get my order than most other suppliers. I’m usually not in a big hurry so it’s not a big deal to me, but I can see where it would be for some.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post
    <rant>
    </rant>
    Amen Brian!
    I agree wholeheartedly - vote with your dollar! It's what I do.
    Lee

>>> For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up.

Is that then, your problem, or theirs?

If it were me, I'd make the tiny effort of calling an 800# before wondering/suggesting they're out of business.

FWIW, Highland's a great place and have ordered lots of stuff from them...
    Brad
    Urban pix: www.citysnaps.net

Highland Woodworking

I've never ordered online from Highland, but I've visited their store several times. They have a lot of free Saturday demos, some great classes and a great inventory of products. (They can also be a little pricey, as can some other woodworking stores.) For those who live in the Atlanta area, it is definitely worth a visit.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
    >>> For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up.

Is that then, your problem, or theirs?

If it were me, I'd make the tiny effort of calling an 800# before wondering/suggesting they're out of business.

FWIW, Highland's a great place and have ordered lots of stuff from them...
    Brad said what I was thinking....what is this thread about, again?
    Gary
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 12-09-2007 at 4:51 PM. Reason: spell

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I join you in hoping the computer switchover will improve Highland's web presence. They stock some stuff thats hard to find elsewhere so I hope they continue to be successful. It does bug me that there's no tracking or status info available. I'm just not as organized as Bruce.

Its interesting, what really matters to me is knowing when something will come. If its going to be late, I can usually move work around to accomodate, but I have been burned (mainly by Amazon) with orders that get postponed and then canceled later. When I really need something, I will order from Lee Valley even though it takes longer and costs more -but you KNOW when they say its in stock it really is and their shipping is like clockwork.

Good luck Highland!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    I join you in hoping the computer switchover will improve Highland's web presence. They stock some stuff thats hard to find elsewhere so I hope they continue to be successful. It does bug me that there's no tracking or status info available. I'm just not as organized as Bruce.

Its interesting, what really matters to me is knowing when something will come. If its going to be late, I can usually move work around to accomodate, but I have been burned (mainly by Amazon) with orders that get postponed and then canceled later. When I really need something, I will order from Lee Valley even though it takes longer and costs more -but you KNOW when they say its in stock it really is and their shipping is like clockwork.

Good luck Highland!
    Who are you calling organized!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree. they need to get their act together. I don't have time to wait on the phone for " the next operator" .If they won't answer my emails, I won't do business with them.

Highland Hardware experience

I have always been pleased with the service I have received. I usually order by phone, only a couple of times in a year do I order through the web site, and I have always been treated well and orders have always come in a timely manner. I think they do a fine job, and I try to get to the store during their spring sale, good prices and lots of demo's.