Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highland Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post
    For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up. (duh!)
    This is one of those times where I want to kill a cat.

If you choose not to comment I will respect that, but............???

what would preclude you from making a phone call?

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Highland Hardware is a cool store.

Just because they didn't respond to an electronic query in lightening fast speed, doesn't mean they are out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    I agree. they need to get their act together. I don't have time to wait on the phone for " the next operator" .If they won't answer my emails, I won't do business with them.
    You tell em Carl !!!!!!
    Gary

I've been ordering from Highland online for the past couple of years. Never had a problem. I have also not waited too long for shipments. I would like to see their site updated though, so I'm in agreement there.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I also can rarely call and depend on email.

While I would not have assumed "out of business" the post did get some answers. I'm on the West Coast and rarely have time to pick up the phone on my way out in the morning. By the time I get home many places I deal with are closed. Now yes I suppose on the rare day I take a lunch break I could grab a handful of coins and head out for a phone booth somewhere but I'm not going to. I can't call long distance from work.

Perhaps the difference in perspective is from those having a cell phone vs those that don't but if I can order on line then I want an answer on line, period.

Larry R
    Seattle

Highland Hardware

Whenever I have called Highland Hardware, they have taken the time to answer all my questions about any product. Their advice has been first rate and I have always gotten a straight answer every time. They are more like your old corner hardware store and answering questions in full detail takes time they have to put into their overhead costs. They have treated me so well over the years in answering my questions, I do not mind paying a little more. People complain about the lack of service at big box stores now.....hmmmmm go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Newman View Post
    Whenever I have called Highland Hardware, they have taken the time to answer all my questions about any product. Their advice has been first rate and I have always gotten a straight answer every time. They are more like your old corner hardware store and answering questions in full detail takes time they have to put into their overhead costs. They have treated me so well over the years in answering my questions, I do not mind paying a little more. People complain about the lack of service at big box stores now.....hmmmmm go figure!
    Jim,

I totally agree with you and my experiences with them via the phone has been the same, they have actually taken information from me to do research and called me back with solid information. This was done with no immediate direct profit, but over the years they have always and will continue to win my business. I go to the big box stores and end up training their employees nine times out of ten, and the tenth time it usually ends up with just a dumb stare from the employee.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Simon View Post
    Maybe call them??? duh.
    How about a little more kindness. This is supposed to be a friendly forum.

I agree with the original poster; email to a company should result in a prompt response or I will take my business elsewhere. A company that doesn't respond to emails is just as bad as a company that won't answer their phones or always sends you to voicemail.

I prefer not to call companies... I have spent enough of my life on hold trying to resolve issues when email wouldn't work (especially with large companies where emails are answered by "dirty word search" quieries of pre-written FAQs, so you never actually get any human assistance). I will never call a company until email has failed to achieve a proper response.

I noticed that their system for on-line ordering was not as sophisticated as others, but I got what I ordered in a reasonable length of time, and at a very competitive price. Good company, and they have good folks working there. Highland is one of just a few things I miss about Atlanta.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I edited the title of this thread because it was unfair to Highland Hardware since they are in fact still in business. This could be terribly bad for their company given the exposure that The Creek receives so to be fair the title had to be changed.

Thank you Keith!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My first experience with Highland Hardware (recently Highland Woodworking) began in 1978 when they opened their doors in the old location across the street before the move to the larger building. It was difficult to get any info or tools other than what Sears had in those days.

Highland became in those days, the "mecca" for southern WW's as they brought in folks we had never heard of in the U.S., but we were willing to listen because picking up any infomation on WW'ing was very difficult in those times. There was no instant access via inter-net and word of mouth on the rare occassion you ran into another WW was about it. FWW began publishing shortly after and that opened up another avenue.

I went to a seminar by some unknown European guy that Highland featured and he indeed knew his stuff. I learned much in that seminar in the early days given by Tage Frid, the unknown guy. Since I have attended Frank Klaus twice, Sam Maloof twice, Odate, Mehler and a host of other talented people that don't share the national highlight.

Highland's staff are all wood-workers themselves and some quite talented as can be attested to by the Georgia WW Guild. Some of those give seminars as they have an experienced turner, finisher, a very talented lady woodworker who gears her seminars to women and all are not just hired to learn what they can on the job.

Do I order by inter-net. NO... there web set-up at this point is not refined as others. I used to just show up as Highland is within 30 minutes of me. But for the last year and the price of gas, I just call. I have never waited more than 45 seconds on the phone which was answered by someone I knew was a WW and knowledeable of the product. Never more than 45 seconds... I have wasted more time here typing this post!

I called two weeks ago to inquire and purchase some expensive wax to use on a bed. Jason answered and with my question asked me to hold for Sidney the finish man. Sidney listened to the application and ask if I had any Johnson's paste wax on hand. "Yes"... "Save your money and use it as it is will give the same results". End of order.. till the next!

So... their web is lacking but.... not the service when you show up or over the phone. Try ordering from Jeff Jewitt on his web-site. You don't.. you look there and then call.. leave a message and he will call back when he can and take the order with the fact if might be several days before he can ship. But.. you spoke to someone that "knows" what they are talking about.

Same with Louis Itturo. One call usually won't get em, you gotta be persistent and don't expect a catalog within the year you called if you requested one. There is NO web-site and may never be one. But... ya spoke to someone when you were patient that "knows".

So.... for all of those that expect instant service via inter-net, the above 3 mentioned may not be your cup of tea. For those that have a little patience and want to deal with someone that knows.. you have scored a "Bulls-Eye" as soon as the phone is answered.

My $.02... Ya'll have a good day....

Sarge..

John Thompson was spot on with his reply to this thread. I also live in the Atlanta area and have always gone to Highland Woodworking (they have changed their name from Highland Hardware) when I have a question to be answered or needed some suggestions. One guy wrote that he didn't have time to "wait for the next available operator". That's the beauty of this place. You will not be talking to an operator! If you need instant gratification, or you really can't wait to talk to someone (I'm busy too, there are many times that applies!) then you will probably be happier with a box store, or an on-line retailer. They do not staff for speed. They seem to staff for quality. Kind of refreshing if you ask me!
    Just my .02 Feel free to disagree. Gotta get back to the shop. Christmas is just around the corner!

We should have mentioned the two large store cats, Andy. Whenever I show up one will always... always be sleeping on top of whatever I went for. And with multiple items.. once I remove the cat to get what I need, I don't have to search for the second item. I just glance at where the cat went too and head straight to the spot as they just know what you want as soon as you arrive.

Let's just say the store has some character along with the older Virgiinia-Highland neighbor-hood and especially so in the older building by the old "fire-house" next door.

When I walk in the door.... I get the feeling of setting foot on "Sacred Ground" that is permeated by spirits of great wood-workers from the past that have come and gone and still continue to come and go!

Regards...

Sarge..

I'm on the West Coast and rarely have time to pick up the phone on my way out in the morning. By the time I get home many places I deal with are closed. Now yes I suppose on the rare day I take a lunch break I could grab a handful of coins and head out for a phone booth somewhere but I'm not going to. I can't call long distance from work.
    Again, is this Highland's problem if someone doesn't have time to call them via their FREE 800#?
    Brad
    Urban pix: www.citysnaps.net