Thread: Festool Rails 55" X2 vs 106"

Festool Rails 55" X2 vs 106"

Can anyone comment on using two 55" rails with connectors vs. using a single 106" rail. I am specifically referring to Festool rails.

There is the obvious convenience factor of connecting and disconnecting the rails. I am more concerned about accuracy of the 2 rails being connected. As well, what about repeated connecting and disconnecting. Does this cause any wear and tear that would affect accuracy.

In this case accuracy would be straightness.

This is one of those "depends on whom you talk to" issues. I do it without problems, but it did take a little tweaking. Sometimes the order makes a difference--I had a little lip one way, but swapped the rails, as suggested by others, and it worked fine. This has been discussed several times over on the Festool Users Group, but you will likely have to search through the archives. Per Swenson, who posts here as well as on the Festool site has lots of experience Festool tools and does it all the time, sometimes with many rails strung together. But you will find comments by those who were frustrated by the process and opted for buying a single rail.
    --Rob

3. Personally, I like having the different sizes of rails. I have the short one (32 I think), the standard one, and the 106". It is nice to be able to quickly grab the size I need and be able to swap back and forth quickly.

The only downside I am aware of with the longer rail is storage and transportation (not really an issue for me in my shop). There are only two areas in my shop where the ceiling is tall enough to lean this against the wall. Nevertheless, I would still not get rid of the longer one.

I had the 55" and just last week purchased the 42" and a connector. I actually debated over purchasing the long one, but decided against it as I tend to do smaller work and only occasionally do larger scale work. After using both of them together It made a pretty good cut. Quite straight. I'm not sorry I made this decision, but as stated in a previous post I like the idea of having a 106" so I don't have to take the time for set up. BTW, I ordered the guide and connector from Bob Marino on Sunday night (around 9PM) and the package was on my front stoop at 10:15 Tuesday Morning. He's good. Thanks Bob. And good luck with your decision.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I have two at 55". I have worked out a method where I clamp the two together against a straight edge. It is fast and accurate that way. However, I will buy the long one in the future and wished I had done so from the start. It would be so much more convenient to simply grab the long one when I need it. Plus, to set it up accurately I need to make room on my assembly table. Also, even though I try not to over tighten the set screws, they have slightly dimpled the guides. This causes no harm to the functionality of the guide, but who wants that on such an expensive tool.

I use a piece of scrap with a straight edge when I put together my 2 55s. I wish I had a 106. It's on my list of things to get sometime.
    Jay St. Peter

Longer is better! I'm lucky to have a vaulted ceiling in my garage so storage isn't a big deal but it sure is nice having that continuous piece.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I was quite frustrated by trying to use two 55" rails. I connected them to make a long rail, but found that it wouldn't stay straight. Normal shop handling knocked them out of alignment, no matter how tightly I screwed the set-screws in. Eventually I sold one 55" and sprung for the 106".

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I'm hoping that Santa will bring me a long rail, but just for convenience. I haven't had any accuracy issues. BTW, even though Festool sells the connectors individually, you need two - one for the top groove and another for the groove under the rail.

I do slide the saw along the joined rails before cutting anything. If you have the saw configured so there's no slop in the saw to rail connection, you will know right away if they aren't connected correctly.

Kevin,

No matter how many of these rails you have in the various sizes... you'll still want one more.... I'm up too 9 now.

I never have had a problem coupling rails. But when I broke down & bought a long rail, I went with 118" rail. The larger saws like my AFT 65 or the newer TS 75 benefit from having more start/stop area for breaking down 8' stock.

Now I want to add "just one more rail....." a 32" rail for 2' & shorter cut offs with my AFT 55.

The Festool guide system becomes more flexible as as your collection of Festool tools grows. For me the growing number of rails started with AFT 55 as a portable saw system to break down $300 a sheet plywood with no tear out, that as I used the AFT 55 .... I soon realized my big shop panel saw was obsolete, as was a 50" rip on the table saw. Since the Festool saw easily broke down stock like a quality slider, a 32" rip on the table saw is all that's necessary. Then I added the OF 1400 & OF 1010 to work with the rails & then a 32 mm hole system. Note: the LS 32 System does requires their own rails but the rails still work with the saw, so in the future if you are looking at adding this to your collection, then if you add a 42" rail add the one with holes to do double duty.

The nay sayers say Festool is over price & over hyped. I agree with this assessment for most users looking at a piece or two. But for a Pro that can justify & really use the tools, the benefits multiply as you have a more complete system & "see" how to use it.

So if you can justify it go for the long rail... but I'd opt for the 118" instead of the 106"

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........