Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVR or TiVo?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

DVR or TiVo?

LOML has dropped a few strong hints that she would like a DVR for Christmas. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would probably want to go with a Hi-Def unit. Should I be looking a the TiVo or go with a straight DVR setup.
    Personally, I don’t see a whole lot that’s worth recording on TV but that’s another story…

Thanks
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well now...it's up 2U...but whatever you pick will change your life. DrLOML and I NEVER watch a full show anymore. We tape (or whatever) everything and watch it in 3 1/4's time. We have a DVR...and LOVE IT! Simple and easy to use...but I really have no understanding of TiVo,,,,
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

A DVR is just a high tech VCR, right? I imagine the connections are pretty much the same too. I have been perusing the TiVo web site but don’t really understand how it works. How difficult is it to get up & running? Does it replace your cable box?

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Way beyond easy Bruce...way beyond. It's part of our cable box and even this "knuckle draggin" machinist dude finds it easy.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

We love our Tivo. One of the features that Tivo has that I don't know if anyone else has is suggestions. It looks at what you've been recording, what you've given thumbs up and thumbs down to and and records things you might like in the empty space. I've watched more than a couple shows I wouldn't have known about otherwise--for example, last night I watched a "Modern Marvels" about the Mackinac Bridge.

I've heard that Tivo's GUI is superior to cable/satellite companies DVR, especially in the features. I've had Tivo for over 5 years and it's only drawback is I now watch MORE TV!! The Season Pass is great. If you find a show you want to stay up on, SP will record it every time it's on, even if the network moves it around. The search function can be useful as well.

What Glenn said is right on: it WILL change you life where TV is concerned.

Let us know which way you decide to go.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

I have satellite tv: Dish Network and they supply their own DVR. It is wonderful but if TiVo has features like Matt suggested, that blows away what I've got through DN.

But, in the end, you will be assimilated. DVR will change how you watch TV and you'll no longer stand for watching commericals any longer! I hate watching TV in real time now...except for sports, of course!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Having had both I can tell you that TiVo blows a DVR away in so many respects. The menus, the season pass, the suggestions it goes on and on. With a DVR you basically have a digital VCR. I have read about some software that allows you to basically do with a DVR what TiVo does already. Plus you have to connect your PC or Mac to the DVR box. TiVo is the way to go, you wont regret it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

What is involved with setting up a TiVo? I don’t have a phone line on the same wall as the EC, but I read that TiVo has a Wireless G USB Network Adapter that I assume plugs into your PC?
    This is where I am a little confused.
    From what I have read the TiVo is more versatile but I don’t want to rearrange my whole setup to use it.

Andy Rooney

I have the Comcast HD DVR box. Like Glenn said we watch it when we want. I hear people that have TiVO say how much better it is than a DVR. Which ever you get will probably cost you something extra a month.

My Tivo is DirecTV, so I'm sure its a little different, but after the installers left, we just had to choose a dial-in number and let the program guide download. After that you just choose what you want to record and it does it. When you are watching TV, you hit a thumbs up or down button on the remote to tell it your likes and dislikes. And that's about it. On a standalone Tivo, you can connect it to a wireless network, but its not necessary. When you do, I believe the program guide updates come through the internet, and i understand you can save shows to DVD on your computer. Unfortunately, DirecTV won't offer the network option, so I've never gotten to look into any of the network related features.

I have Direct TV with tivo and My wife and I just love it. You can even set it up to record your favorite actor's/actress's shows or movie's.
    That was the first thing LOML did was program in John Wayne.
    Didn't realize how many of those old serial westerns he did.
    It's so much better to watch tv when you can start watching the show from the beginning after it has already started, fast foward though the comercials and knock off about 15 minutes in an hour program.

I've had both and like both for similar reasons. Right now I have a DVR as the TIVO didn't record in HD. I do like the TIVO remote better.

When I switch away from Comcast, I'm still not sure I'm even going to do a DVR unless I have to for the HD stuff. Tivo is nice, but I'll probably base my decision on cost...Tivo's DVR does essentially the same thing as the provider's DVR. But in addition to the Tivo subscription, I'd be paying for a couple of CableCards, too. The DVR from the provider may have a significant edge at that point from the cost angle!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am wishing for a service that automatically excludes commercials all together. Think Santa will ever come through?
    Several of my Prime Time shows are now running in the same time slot so if this continues I will have to break down and get a recorder or service. Tivo is the one I will eventually go with.
    David B