Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Butternut

Free Butternut

Seasons greetings to all. I would like to offer free Butternut to anyone that would like to come get it. I'm thinking that George Guadiane is the closest. I have a 170 and 310 Stihl you can use. I dropped the monster last year for the lumber in the trunk. This tree was 32" at breast Height. The top is what remains with the largest section being around 12-14". The top should have least 1000lbs of wood in it. There may be some larger trunk sections if the local floods have not taken them yet. Also have another butternut that was standing dead around 20" ABH that I dropped too. Send me a PM if you would like some. I would rather not ship.Thank you all for such a wonderful and informative site. Tim Gruss PS. This wood if FREE.

To bad I'm in CA. Thanks for the nice offer

Free Butternut

I had forgot to mention that this is NOT the punky wormhole Junk that you think of as butternut. This is solid, some curly, some does have spalting. The main crotch where the main branch off was had been infested with termites. The tree was still living, I only lost about 7 feet of that section. This is very similar to turning Black Walnut, slightly softer but finishes up the same. Don Orr your also very close to me. Thanks again,Tim.

Wish I was closer, I love butternut!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    Where are you? I wouldn't mind some curly turning blanks. I'd pay shipping.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gruss View Post
    Seasons greetings to all. I would like to offer free Butternut to anyone that would like to come get it. I'm thinking that George Guadiane is the closest. I have a 170 and 310 Stihl you can use. I dropped the monster last year for the lumber in the trunk. This tree was 32" at breast Height. The top is what remains with the largest section being around 12-14". The top should have least 1000lbs of wood in it. There may be some larger trunk sections if the local floods have not taken them yet. Also have another butternut that was standing dead around 20" ABH that I dropped too. Send me a PM if you would like some. I would rather not ship.Thank you all for such a wonderful and informative site. Tim Gruss PS. This wood if FREE.
    Hi Tim ,
    It's ME, GEORGE!!! (free wood)
    Sounds like stuff I would like! Are we in a HURRY to move this wood? Do I have to take it all? Could we get the club together and make it into an event???
    Anyway, I would certainly like to get some of it.
    I will PM you with this too - I just wanted to let those who live too far away suffer a little more, and to publicly thank you for mentioning me by name. I am SURE that Don Orr will want some too. I will alert him by email.
    Change One Thing

Hmmm... Albany isn't that far .... ( 5 -6 hours or so )
    Last edited by David Fried; 12-09-2007 at 7:16 PM.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Dang it,

why cant I ever live close to the Free Wood

Enjoy Folks
    Thank You
    Julie in Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried View Post
    Hmmm... Albany isn't that far .... ( 5 -6 hours or so )

Closer than that David. Less than 2-1/2 from Storrs, or Norwich. Unfortunately I sold the dually this summer and have not replaced it yet. Can only fit so much wood in the back of a VW golf...

Butternut in Albany ?

Hey, I work in Albany every day! I did not get a chance to respond to George's email but I am definitely interested. We'll get in touch and figure this out. I hope time is not in issue as I am really busy this time of year. I also have a new chainsaw that needs to be exercised !
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    Closer than that David. Less than 2-1/2 from Storrs, or Norwich. Unfortunately I sold the dually this summer and have not replaced it yet. Can only fit so much wood in the back of a VW golf...
    Right ... I was calculating round trip. I probably drive a tad slower too .
    The generator on my truck is on the fritz so I would be looking at the Honda Civic.

Maybe if I took out the back seat ....
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Hey, I work in Albany every day! I did not get a chance to respond to George's email but I am definitely interested. We'll get in touch and figure this out. I hope time is not in issue as I am really busy this time of year. I also have a new chainsaw that needs to be exercised !
    Oh SURE!!! For free wood you have time, for ME???
    email me when you can, we'll work something out.
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gruss View Post
    Hi Tim,
    It's time to get back to this if the wood is still available.
    If you like, send me an email with your phone number and I'll call you and try to set up a time.
    Change One Thing

I'm leaving now, be there in about a month! Darn, the freebees are always clear accross the States!

I wish I was closer too... I'd be over there in a heartbeat with chainsaw in hand... especially for Butternut.