Thread: Any good ideas welcomed

Any good ideas welcomed

I am curious to see if anyone has any good ideas or photos of what might be the best way to stage cabinet doors for finishing. I have a finishing room. It is 20x40 so space is not an issue. My question is while spraying multiple doors what would be the best for doing multiple items at once. I have always sub contracted out the finishing but have found myself in a position where I will be doing it in house. Any jigs, hanging techniques-not the cup holder to pricey, lean to, etc.

I'm not in a production environment but the way I did a lot of panels was to spray one at a time in my spray booth, on a lazy susan. I sprayed one side, put it on a drying rack, and by the time I was done spraying all the panels I could flip them and spray the other side. I was spraying a WB poly, but I would assume lacquer would dry even quicker. Heres the drying rack I built: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60065

Ok heres what I do although I will admit it sounds weirder than it really is. I have a small finishing area in my shop that I make by drawing some curtains closed and forming a room. I then string a rope across the room. Using a screw hole in the doors for the hinges, I temporarily start a screw in. I use this to hang the doors from the rope (with a short string) strung across the room. With all the doors hanging from the rope and pushed against one wall I start spraying. I spray one side and all edges of the first door then push it across the room on the rope and spray the other side. I work like this until all the doors are done. I can spray all sides and edges at one time without leaving any marks of any kind on the finished door. There are several ways to hang the doors from the rope but using the hinge screw hole allows me to do so without harming the finish. I actually made up short "hangers" that hook to the screw head and the other end just has a hook to hang over the rope.
    Works great and it keeps everything at a comfortable no stress level.
    Last edited by Jim Kountz; 12-09-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I forgot to mention that the last time I did this I used two ropes and this allowed the doors to be hung level and not swinging around quite so much. Just use a screw hole for the top and bottom hinges and hang the doors sideways.

I also use the door hinge screw method similar to the way Jim does it and poly string hanging from cup hooks. Two strings on each door keep the items from moving much.
    I like Matt's method as well and may pirate his idea.
    When I paint metal parts I use a Home Depot kennel panel hanging from four corners with poly rope to the ceiling of my pole barn. The fence portion gives me a lot of area to hang hooks to support things that are being painted or drying.
    David B

New Rockler product

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Ok heres what I do although I will admit it sounds weirder than it really is. I have a small finishing area in my shop that I make by drawing some curtains closed and forming a room. I then string a rope across the room. Using a screw hole in the doors for the hinges, I temporarily start a screw in. I use this to hang the doors from the rope (with a short string) strung across the room. With all the doors hanging from the rope and pushed against one wall I start spraying. I spray one side and all edges of the first door then push it across the room on the rope and spray the other side. I work like this until all the doors are done. I can spray all sides and edges at one time without leaving any marks of any kind on the finished door. There are several ways to hang the doors from the rope but using the hinge screw hole allows me to do so without harming the finish. I actually made up short "hangers" that hook to the screw head and the other end just has a hook to hang over the rope.
    Works great and it keeps everything at a comfortable no stress level.
    Last time I was in Rockler, they had a product that fit into the 50mm hole (I think that's the right mm) and was used to hang the doors while finishing.

Jim

I do like Matt does but I really get tired of taking the doors off of the rack and putting them back on. I think that Jim's solution is the best that I have heard of for a low cost but efficient solution. That is the way that I am going about it next project. The racks will still be good for the final dry after the spraying is done and dried enough to store them. The only downside that I can see is that care will have to be taken not to spray heavy enough coats to cause runs. That will require some training for me as I tend to get a little heavy handed to try to avoid extra coats.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
    Last time I was in Rockler, they had a product that fit into the 50mm hole (I think that's the right mm) and was used to hang the doors while finishing.

Jim
    Now that would be something I would buy! But its a 35mm hole I do believe. But hey whos counting right! LOL

Say, I just popped over to Rocklers website and had a look see at those door hangers, those things look perfect for the job and @ $4 its a good buy too I think. Should have known there was a better mousetrap out there for something like this.
    Thanks for bringing that to the table James!

Finishing is always a dust control problem for me.

Eventually I gave up and went with poly sheets for the majority of the finish applications. Of course brushing poly on It got dust even in the poly sheet tent. Then when I was done using a brush I'd sand it & do wipe on the last couple of times taking advantage of the short dry time available to prevent dust from getting in the final coats.

It's a PITA but it works for large surfaces.

A thought if you are using a line: If you wanted to do a permanent or semi-permanent installation, you could tension some steel rope with turnbuckles. Then you shouldn't have sag problems, and you could have the ability to slide the panels around on the line--push them all to one side closer together while they dry to give yourself some room to work. You'd want to wipe them off regularly to keep them from dropping "stuff" on your panels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    A thought if you are using a line: If you wanted to do a permanent or semi-permanent installation, you could tension some steel rope with turnbuckles.
    Good thought! That is what I was thinking about last night.

thank you

thanks for the idea's. taking a little bit of everyones advice I think I will use the steal wire and make a hanging system. I was avoiding the cup hinge holders for the fact that I have approx. 90 pieces to get done over the next three weeks so I was trying to spray 20 to 30 pieces at a time. I just needed steered in the right direction sometimes the mind goes blank.