Thread: Workbench FINISHED (finally!)

Workbench FINISHED (finally!)

I started on my wife's morris chair but figured out right after I started that I needed a proper workbench so I stopped and built my workbench that most of you have seen. Then I finished the morris chair and now that that's done I took the time this weekend to finish my bench. The drawers are all dovetailed, cherry fronts, nothing special, but it's finished. The cherry has some wild grain and looks scuffed but it's very smooth. Planed and waxed as a finish. Ball bearing glides and cast iron drawer pulls. It holds a lot of my tools and I'm pretty happy as I can see the top of one of my other benches finally!

Yes, those are couches in the shop. Gotta have some place to sit to drink beer! (Kegerator is behind the guitar).

Marcus, that's a mighty fine bench you made. It looks like it's very functional. Congratulations and enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Looking good Marcus!!

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Sweet!!!
    Oh, and the bench is nice too
    Well done!
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

That's a beauty! Great storage under it, too. Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Marcus,
    Very nice..... I had my eye on it under the Morris Chair in the chair posts.
    I've had alot of thoughts lately about a dedicated Neander style bench..... my current bench is an all in one behemoth I built before I was a "serious" WW'er. 2 pieces of 1" ply lam'ed that's over 8' X 4' on a 2 by 2 and 2 by 6 base... miter saw station, tail vise with dog rows, drill press station... also stores about 50bf of curly maple, 40 bf of 8/4 mahogany underneath & a ton of vaious molding pieces and various tailed tools. The existing bench is literally jack of tooooo many and master of none, but I too can see the top of it for the first time in some weeks.
    The "yes those are couches" line was snot out the nose funny.

FYI, picked up another load of walnut Friday at $1 a BF... all from the same log & some over 10"W and 10'L.
    I've tentatively talked to my wife about making a trip to your area in the weeks after the first of the year.... have to see about availability of QSWO as the time approaches....

Cheers.

Greg

That looks great Marcus, I was hoping you'd finish it soon. I like how you added the drawers as well as kept the shelf under the top. If I even get lumber for mine it will probably look very much like yours.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Thanks for all the nice words guys. Cutting those dovetails was monotonous! I need a better dovetail saw too, the one I have doesn't cut finely enough for my taste and I'm not sure if I like the gents saw handle either.

Greg - 1$ / bd ft is amazing! Sounds like a motherload haul. Right now he's got about 300 bf of QSWO on the pallet, not sure what else he has. I am cherry-picking that pile though so.... you might want to hurry. I'm sure he'll have more again soon, I'll ask next time I am out there. The first time I called this guy he wouldn't even consider QS so he's coming around!

Nice bench, Marcus. Plenty of room, too. You must have a great dust management system to keep a guitar and couch in there! Or is it all hand tools all the time?

Nah everything is just dusty! I have a ceiling mounted filter and a good dust collector so it mitigates a lot of it but I have to frequently dust. I am working on a dust collection system for the chop saw which will cut down on the dust a ton.