Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool recommendations for a beginner

Tool recommendations for a beginner

Hello,

I am just getting in to woodworking and would like some recommendations on the most helpful tools I need to start making furniture. I am a building contractor, so most of the tools I own are geared in that direction-- such as a Dewalt portable table saw(744s), sliding compound miter saw(708), jigsaw(bosch), router(2.25 hp bosch fixed/plunge kit), drills, skilsaw, trim guns, compressor and the like. I believe this will be a lifelong interest, so I am not opposed to investing in some quality tools. Additionally, I found a dealer who bought a jessem mastrlift excel with all the goodies including a mitr slide that he is willing so sell at his cost ($800). I would appreciate your thoughts on that, as a router table seems like a really versatile tool. Thanks a ton.

Round Two

You have all the tools you need to build a house now you want to build the things that go inside. Pick up the router. I'm thinking you will also need a lunch box planer, a 6"jointer and lots and lots of clamps. Then you can make a workbench and you're in business.

I am a beginner also. I don't have your construction experience but have been a do it yourself kinda guy all my life. I would suggest starting off small. Get a small jointer and a small planer and a router table. That way you can get experience flattening and shaping boards and in the near future you will have a better idea of exactly what you want. Good clamps are a must for glue ups and some kind of vac set up is very important also.
    I have talked to a lot of people that have bought tools and have never used them even though they still work in the shop. Fancy things like the master lift are great but not necessary. If you have money to burn and a lot of room... well you can never really have to many tools in that case.
    Good luck with the new hobby.

Ya didn't say where your from, but I'll assume ya don't have a neighbor you can borrow the use of some of the bigger power tools like joiner or planer, so I'd say get a 3hp TS, 8" joiner, 15" planer and a 16" or larger bandsaw, decent router table and a small and large router, something like the Bosch Colt for small work like inlays and such and a bigger plunge router for the rest.

Brand names are like Ford/Chevy debates, everybody has their favorite, and those with unlimited funds will reccomend sawstop and festool, its your check book, and the sky's the limit...have fun.

When it comes to hand tools, buy them as you need to, but a good assortment of clamps as Keith mentioned is a must imho

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Ya didn't say where your from, but I'll assume ya don't have a neighbor you can borrow the use of some of the bigger power tools like joiner or planer, so I'd say get a 3hp TS, 8" joiner, 15" planer and a 16" or larger bandsaw, decent router table and a small and large router, something like the Bosch Colt for small work like inlays and such and a bigger plunge router for the rest.

Brand names are like Ford/Chevy debates, everybody has their favorite, and those with unlimited funds will reccomend sawstop and festool, its your check book, and the sky's the limit...have fun.

When it comes to hand tools, buy them as you need to, but a good assortment of clamps as Keith mentioned is a must imho

Al
    I would agree except that a 12 1/2" or 13" planer...Dewalt...is more than adequate for a hobbyist and much more affordable.

Funny no one has mentioned a tablesaw. A Unisaw with a Unifence or a Biesemeyer fence is a nice thing to have. But on the other hand I have been running on a Delta Contractors tablesaw with a Unifence for over 12 years and really don't see myself replaceing it unless my dad hands his Unisaw down to me, or I get rich, or I find a used one in fair shape at half the price of new or less. If I was to open a fulltime cabinet shop I'd have the Unisaw, for what I do at home the Contractors saw works just fine. I've run alot of wood through the saw over the years, it's been a good saw. Put a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt on it with machined pulleys, my 110 volt circuit didn't have enough juice so I switched the motor over to 220 Volts, and I added my version of what I like for dust collection on these types of saws.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-10-2007 at 10:30 AM.

"""""""""
    I would agree except that a 12 1/2" or 13" planer...Dewalt...is more than adequate for a hobbyist and much more affordable.
    """"""""

I'd agree except by the time you buy a Dewalt, and all the accesories you have gotten close enough to a 15" machine that for not much more you get twice the planer, he mentions a life long intrest, I'm willing to bet my Yorkcraft 15" unit will be around longer than the Dewalt...leastwises you'd sure hope so...

But for the occasion use that a part time hobbist needs, you'd be right.

"""""""""
    Funny no one has mentioned a tablesaw
    """""""""""

It was, I suggested a 3hp unit

Al
    Last edited by Al Willits; 12-10-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add to
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Whoops ! I'm sorry Al. I think I need more coffee.

Look for higher quality used tools. Like a Unisaw, 8" jointer, 15" planer, etc.

Good think about buying these things used is if for some reason you find that you don't like woodworking or you just don't have the time, you will be able to sell the equipment without loosing musch money if any.

Oh, you also need to put at the top of you list a good dust collector. It's mandatory in most peoples minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    """""""""
    """"""""

I'd agree except by the time you buy a Dewalt, and all the accesories you have gotten close enough to a 15" machine that for not much more you get twice the planer, he mentions a life long intrest, I'm willing to bet my Yorkcraft 15" unit will be around longer than the Dewalt...leastwises you'd sure hope so...

But for the occasion use that a part time hobbist needs, you'd be right.

"""""""""
    Funny no one has mentioned a tablesaw
    """""""""""

It was, I suggested a 3hp unit

Al
    Not sure how the Yorkcraft would be twice the planer. As we know, there is always bigger better. But my DeWalt 735 is a great planer for even a serious hobbyist. I got mine off craigslist for $275...barely used. I will make a built in planing station.

What makes answering this question difficult is no known budget, shop size, etc. I would also say that a 16" bandsaw is a little over the top. I went with the Jet 12"...got it also barely used from a closet company for $200. I would prefer a 14" w/ riser, but this will handle most anything I will need it for. I put more budget into a larger jointer (used DJ-20) and cabinet table saw. And dust collection as mentioned.

Used is fine for some people if they have the time to work on it. Also, it can get expensive if a motor is on it's way out or you need to buy a better fence, etc. The positive side of it is the older equipment was usually made in the USA and of better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Used is fine for some people if they have the time to work on it. Also, it can get expensive if a motor is on it's way out or you need to buy a better fence, etc. The positive side of it is the older equipment was usually made in the USA and of better quality.
    I would agree in part, but even new machine purchases take time to set up and tweak. I just picked up the jointer and a Unisaw with extensions and Unifence for $1,800. Both were in excellent condition...got to use them first. Ending up selling the Unisaw immediately to my buddy because my sister wants me to teach her woodworking and insists on buying a Saw Stop. Looking at the cost of these new, approximately $1,800 savings. The key to used is "quality" used.

All good advice! Router table (with lift if you can get it), Joiner 6", No one metined a Good ROS sander. Also I find my Festool work table is a great workbench. If you don't have one you may want to consider that. Oh yea a good dust extractor or vacuum, not with a vaccunm if you use it with a sander get one you con turn down the suction on.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    Since you have a good start on your tools I would focus on a good, solid, level workbench. Jointer and planer are in your future.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I always base my tools on what I want to work on. As I try something new, I figure out what tools I will need to make the job go smoother and then search the Creek for what brand is best. It is a lot easier to purchase as I go, then dish out the cash all at once. Over the past few years, I have stocked up and am now looking at upgrades. It sounds like you have a good start on what you will need, so try some of your current tools and upgrade them as you need.