Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filling out your profile

Filling out your profile

Just curious as to why some people do not fill out there profile. I know some people do not like some personal information online and you can leave your email and city you live in out but maybe at least fill it out with the state and a little about yourself,

I don't want to open a can of worms just curious
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Strandberg View Post
    Just curious as to why some people do not fill out there profile. I know some people do not like some personal information online and you can leave your email and city you live in out but maybe at least fill it out with the state and a little about yourself,

I don't want to open a can of worms just curious
    Most (by far) come to ask a few questions and leave. I do it on other forums when I need help with some HTML, etc. Others just don't find value in telling the tale and leave it blank.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I find the lack of information amusing especially in the classified section or when writing about the local weather.
    David B

Not a major reason by any margin, but a few come here after being banned by other sites. Don't want to leave any "tracks"
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Not a major reason by any margin, but a few come here after being banned by other sites. Don't want to leave any "tracks"
    Gary
    Hey you found out my secret

While I could see not putting your home address or phone number I can't understand why you wouldn't put a city or worse case state down.

People ask questions or would like to see how some tools work, or get some help doing something or a host of other things, and there may be someone down the street or at least in driving distance that could help, but they'll never know it.

Seems to be enough helpful people on this list that a person could help someone else and maybe meet a new woodworker that putting some info down would be well worth it...??

People tha put stuff up for sale with out a location I've just gotten to ignore.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Honestly, I suspect that in many cases, at least initially, folks don't enter the information because they don't know how or that they should. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    While I could see not putting your home address or phone number I can't understand why you wouldn't put a city or worse case state down.

People ask questions or would like to see how some tools work, or get some help doing something or a host of other things, and there may be someone down the street or at least in driving distance that could help, but they'll never know it.

Seems to be enough helpful people on this list that a person could help someone else and maybe meet a new woodworker that putting some info down would be well worth it...??

People tha put stuff up for sale with out a location I've just gotten to ignore.

Al
    Your right Al....every once in awhile I'll see someone post and see that they are just a few towns away. So it makes you wonder how many others that could be near you who don't tell their locations.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, I suspect that in many cases, at least initially, folks don't enter the information because they don't know how or that they should. Nature of the beast...
    I'm sure that is part of it but we have some members that have 2500+ posts and all they show is N/A.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'm sure that is part of it but we have some members that have 2500+ posts and all they show is N/A.

And I will say, 2600 plus posts, please do not post about internet scams here, trying to steal your money, thieves live amongst us. Cover your tool roles at night and be careful of who is in your shop .

Heather
    Last edited by Heather Thompson; 12-10-2007 at 3:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    And I will say, 2600 plus posts, please do not post about internet scams here, trying to steal your money, thieves live amongst us. Cover your tool roles at night and be careful of who is in your shop .

Heather
    Call me slow...........finally figured what you were talking about .
    David

I've found out the hard way to not post so much personal info on the WWW. If you've ever been bitten by it, you'll understand why some folks prefer not list too much about themselves. I do not blame them one bit. I've found even using my real name to cause issues but everything's cool...again...for now....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've found out the hard way to not post so much personal info on the WWW. If you've ever been bitten by it, you'll understand why some folks prefer not list too much about themselves. I do not blame them one bit. I've found even using my real name to cause issues but everything's cool...again...for now....

I do agree with you, but I do find it interesting reading some of the profiles and seeing what some of your occupations and hobbies are, and seeing if anyone is close to where I live.

And like Bruce said with some having over 2000 posts and no profile filled out, it's just nice knowing something about a person with that much knowledge and information.
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

Well I don't hink we need SS numbers, phone, address or drivers license number, just even a state would make it better, or a city close to the one you live in.

Point in case would someone who needs to have some lumber planed and doesn't have a plane, if we knew where they lived someone might offer to help them..?

If you don't need or want any inner action with other members, then I can see not putting any info.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    Call me slow...........finally figured what you were talking about .
    I guess I'm slow, too.
    Gary