Thread: Peruvian Walnut discoloring

Question Peruvian Walnut discoloring

Hi, I planed up 26 9 foot boards of this. Only 6 or 7 or so looked like this. I wrote the supplier they called me this morning. ( I didnt load it into cart, it was loaded when got there) He saw this pic also and said that its like purpleheart it will turn back to brown after some time. Does anyone know if this is true?
    I planed it and cut 9 inches off so they wont take it back unless they say its diseased. Its about 30 bd ft, I bought 165 bd ft. They will give it to me for 6 instead of 9 bd ft. Do you think this is fair? So looks like im out $200. Its for the middle of a triple laminate tabletop so you will see the end grains of it.

Thanks

resize 1.JPG

resize 2.JPG

I spent 45 minutes online searching about this. I tried "peruvian walnut lumber sapwood" It was hard to find anyone talk about the milky blotching. It may be sapwood. One of the things I read was that Peruvain doesnt have the sapwood like american. I beg to differ. Alos that the freshly planed stuff sometimes looks white and will quickly darken to true walnut color over a couple of months.
    I hope this is true with a clearcoat on the end grains also.

One easy way to tell if it Peruvian. If its fairly light weight then its likely peruvian if it feels heavy or dense then its not.

I have used a lot of Peruvian walnut. It is hard to tell from the color in your pictures but the discoloration I'm used to seeing is a gray streaking. I've never seen it turn back to the beautifully dark, rich chocolate color, that Peruvian Walnut is known for, and I sure don't see that happening with the material you have. I certainly wouldn't build a table top out of that lumber, and hope that it is going to change color.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard the reason you never (or rarely ever), see 8/4 PW is because it is a very difficult wood to dry and when dried improperly it causes the gray streaking. I've seen a lot of this lumber and have never seen discoloration as bad as yours.

For whatever reason, Peruvian Walnut seems to be getting harder to find, and that could be a reason that some lesser quality material is appearing at the dealers.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    One easy way to tell if it Peruvian. If its fairly light weight then its likely peruvian if it feels heavy or dense then its not.
    Its light. Also very chocolatey.Im not doubting the species.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
    I have used a lot of Peruvian walnut. It is hard to tell from the color in your pictures but the discoloration I'm used to seeing is a gray streaking. I've never seen it turn back to the beautifully dark, rich chocolate color, that Peruvian Walnut is known for, and I sure don't see that happening with the material you have. I certainly wouldn't build a table top out of that lumber, and hope that it is going to change color.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard the reason you never (or rarely ever), see 8/4 PW is because it is a very difficult wood to dry and when dried improperly it causes the gray streaking. I've seen a lot of this lumber and have never seen discoloration as bad as yours.

For whatever reason, Peruvian Walnut seems to be getting harder to find, and that could be a reason that some lesser quality material is appearing at the dealers.
    Thanks im heading down there right now to see what they will due. My studd is milky in the streaks. Maybe some grey to it. Its the middle layer of a tabletop. You are correct I have also heard you wont find any thicker than 4/4 due to drying issues. Thats whiy im laminating it up for the client.

Thanks

resize finished.JPG

Heres what it looks like finished.
    One the end grain it was triple layered.Thats what you see.