Thread: Cyclone dust separator

Cyclone dust separator

For those of you looking for a small shop, low costcyclone solution, go to ebay and search dust separator and look at the first one that comes up. I bought one of these and put it between my cnc router and my Delta 1.5 HP dust collector. It works so well that I'm amazed. I use mostly small end mills on the stuff that I cut and the chips are very small. This separator catches even the smallest of them, with virtually nothing going into the collector bags.

It works so well in fact that I disconnected the hose from the bags and I vent it outside now for less restriction and more suction. I live in the sticks, so that works for me.

Just telling you what worked for me and saved me a pile of money.

I tried dust separator in ebay and the only thing that came up was some patent leaflets.

Any chance you can post the link?

Bryan

Brian

Not sure why its not working for you, I just tried dust separator and it came up. I wanted to see if its the same cyclone separator that I had seen on Ebay before. I was always curious about that paricular cyclone but had never heard from anyone that had one.

It is the same one that I had seen before, you might also try searching with cyclone dust. If I have the right one, the "Buy It Now" price is $169, would that be the right one Skip?

Cannot one of you gentlemen tell us what you are talking about by identifying the cyclone for us?
    Gary

Skip, please just post the auction number, not a direct link, to the proper item. That will help folks find what you are talking about easier. Searches are often "difficult"...I think they do it on purpose to make you feel abused...

Jim
    SMC Moderator.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Item number, Good idea Jim

Item number: 280179659864
    Seller name: EASTCAROGA
    Auction Title: Cyclone Separator For Dust Collector

He shows 20 available and has been selling this separator on Ebay for well over a year if not longer. I'm almost positive this is the one Skip was referring to.

Seems pretty cool. If you have a little cash to throw around might make a good experiment. He also sells a small shop vac unit kind of like a Dust Deputy. I think it was like $87. Kind of intresting.

Good Luck

Alan

Sorry Everybody...

Sorry about the vague ebay reference. Glad you guys found it and posted the item number (280179659864). I wasn't sure if I could post the link but I should have at least given the item number.

Anyhow, these are nice units and I'm very happy with mine. I already had the dust collector so this saved me from having to buy a whole complete unit. This was within my budget also... ha

The guy that makes these does a really nice job on them. You can tell this wasn't his first attempt at metal working.

I see he also posted my comments that I had emailed him about the missing spiral air ramp. And also my comments about how well it works without one. The shopvac test I did with it convinced me of the effectiveness of these things. Sure, there's probably better ones out there, but for the price I'm very satisfied with it.

Thanks,
    Skip
    Last edited by Skip Weiser; 12-10-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: corrected the item number.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Item number, Good idea Jim

Item number: 280179659864
    Seller name: EASTCAROGA
    Auction Title: Cyclone Separator For Dust Collector

He shows 20 available and has been selling this separator on Ebay for well over a year if not longer. I'm almost positive this is the one Skip was referring to.
    Thanks Paul...I found it using your number.
    Gary

Talking I just ordered one last week

The guy that is selling these cyclones, Gary MacIntyre, was very helpful to me over the phone a couple of weeks ago so I ordered the larger version he makes for larger motor driven impellers. He has a version with a 6 inch inlet and a seven inch outlet.

I had been looking for a well made cyclone to go with a nice 15 inch aluminum impeller unit and a 3 horse motor that was given to me a few years ago. I was going to have my dad build a cyclone because he is a retired sheet metal worker. But this man's price is quite reasonable ($169 plus $45 shipping to the left coast) and the construction is top quality according to a friend of mine who is quite pleased with his purchase. He considered his purchase as a real bargain. Who knows when dad would have gotten around to it anyway.

MacIntyre told me that some amish men are making these cyclone separators for him and they are really beginning to take off for him. Once I get my partially homemade system up and running, I'll post a thread to let you know if it's worth the price.

So here is a link to his website:
    http://www.cycloneseparator.com/index2.html
    Ebay seems to be just a way to get the word out for him.

As much as I'm excited about it, I'm not ready to endorse his product until I have it up and running. But I expect it to be a bargain. Maybe I'll save enough on my dust collection system to finally get that MM20!
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Make sure you buy from eastcaroga if you buy one. He has been making these for several years.

A couple of other companies have stolen his ebay advertisement word-for-word, including some of the pictures and are selling the same thing (for similar or greater prices).
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 12-11-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Correct my misspelling of EASTCAROGA per Dennis' message below!

You're correct Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    Make sure you buy from eastcargoa if you buy one. He has been making these for several years.

A couple of other companies have stolen his ebay advertisement word-for-word, including some of the pictures and are selling the same thing (for similar or greater prices).
    You are correct Tim. Thanks for the warning about the frauds. But it's actually East Caroga Lake, New York. His ebay id is eastcaroga and he has 100% positive feedback.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...