Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapering MDF Panel

I dont see resonance being an issue at all, the box when done would essentially be a solid unit. If the cleats and sheet of ply are properly done it would be rock solid. Besided you could always fill the voids if you just want to make absolute sure.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Build a bending form from whatever is handy, and laminate three pieces of 1/4 mdf so that the panel is a consistent 3/4 in thick. The bending form shouldn't be too hard to make. A vacuum bag would be perfect for the large glue up

would bendable mdf work for you in this case. The stuff I use is 3/4" thick mdf with a hardboard surface for laminating or painting. This inside is obviously ridged. It come in burch and other materials as well. It will be solid and will give you the arch you need. Plus you can just go buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Canaris View Post
    You got it buddy!!!!
    Whew! That's one big speaker enclosure. You gonna put wheels on it? No -- even better, put it up on skids a bit so you can slide a pallet jack underneath!

OK.

You need essentially the same thing that is used by some folks to flatten their workbench or other large surface....except you need to make the horizontal guides match the curve you want. Use a router on a moving sled, essentially. The guides along the long axis will be straight and flat and the guides along the short axis will be crowned. I'd do this by making a subbase for the router that you attached runners that matched the curve of the short axis guides. This only works if the curve is a single radius curve....if the radius changes, like a french curve, you need to switch the axes. The router would travel along the long axis on straight, flat runners and these runners would move incrementally along the short axis and the short axis runners would be shaped to the curve rather than being flat. EDIT: Forgot to mention - you'll be doing a lot of sanding to get a nice and smooth surface and probably want to use a core box bit, not a straight bit. I hope you've got a good respirator! /

Another possibility if this assumption is correct - the curved part has no effect on the sound. You need the interior certain dimensions for resonance and the box needs to be a certain density so that you don't get echoing or other distortion. The curved part can't be hollow because the hollowness will distort sound? If so, can you just make the curved part hollow but apply it to a very thick, flat substrate, effectively isolating the hollow away from the resonance box? Perhaps fill the hollow with expanding polyurethane or other insulation to help prevent echoes....as I don't think sand would be a realistic option for something on this scale. Where I earlier said to use 1/2 inch thickness mdf, use 1 1/2 inch thickness MDF or 1 inch or whatever is appropriate. This extra thickness could be accomodated by changing the exterior dimensions of the speaker box, if possible. I don't know if the extra thickness will distort the sound too. Or perhaps the changing thickness of the front is part of the speaker enclosure design to help produce good sound quality?
    Last edited by Tim Sproul; 12-10-2007 at 11:51 PM.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

You don't happen to have an 84" bandsaw do you?
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Mike Marcade

[quote=Tim Sproul;715656]OK.

You need essentially the same thing that is used by some folks to flatten their workbench or other large surface....except you need to make the horizontal guides match the curve you want. Use a router on a moving sled, essentially. The guides along the long axis will be straight and flat and the guides along the short axis will be crowned. I'd do this by making a subbase for the router that you attached runners that matched the curve of the short axis guides. This only works if the curve is a single radius curve....if the radius changes, like a french curve, you need to switch the axes. The router would travel along the long axis on straight, flat runners and these runners would move incrementally along the short axis and the short axis runners would be shaped to the curve rather than being flat. EDIT: Forgot to mention - you'll be doing a lot of sanding to get a nice and smooth surface and probably want to use a core box bit, not a straight bit. I hope you've got a good respirator! /

Tim, you hit the nail on the head with approach #1. I can’t vary the internal volume of the cabinet, and to prevent driver diffraction effects I can't widen the front baffle to accommodate a thicker side panel material. So I will have to start with a 1.25" blank, and taper to 3/4" which will put the sides flush with the front baffle. The router jig you describe should do the trick, but you're coreect, it will be a bit tricky to execute, but certainly do-able.

The only other thought I had that would simplify all of this would be to make the sides of the cabinet the nominal 3/4" thickness, but make them of a denser material than the rest of the cabinet (effectively increasing rigidity). Not sure what that might be though...any suggestions.

Paul,
    Interesting discussion. If you could use a 3/4" thick, curved front, for the speaker box, with the top and bottom front edges milled to this same slight curve, then one solution which would be quick and leave you with a smooth surface would be kerfed mdf, at a 3/8" thickness. Build a form which has the inside curve formed on ribs about every 6 - 9", apply a good adhesive such as Unibond 800 to both kerfed surfaces, and use curved clamping cauls. This would give you a curved sheet of much rigidity in the shape you are seeking. Sections of the curves used for the bending form could then be used to give you a flat surface on which to mount the speakers.

I should add that I know nothing about building speaker boxes, as is probably apparent from the above.
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 12-11-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Resonance

I used to build a lot of speaker enclosures, mostly for cars for competition and resonance was always a problem, like three 18" subwoofers in a Honda. The market is full of dampening products like B-Quiet, Dead Zone, Dynamat. If you google sound deadener you will find dozens of things that will work. Build your box rock solid, seal the inside of the box joints with silicone or similar, add the 1/4 curved outside and pack it with material and resonance won't exist. Good old R19 fiberglass insulation packed in tight will do wonders in stopping resonance also.

Without a slider I'd set up a circular saw and a guide.
    Make your guide nice and straight. clamp and cut.