Thread: Help !!!! Plaese

Help !!!! Plaese

I Have A Glued Table Top Pannel . It Is Basicaly 4' X 8' . It Was Flat In The Shop . I Bring It In The House And It Is Cupped About 3/16 In The Middle - Outside Edges Rolling Up . I Have Not Put Cleats On Or Fastened It To Aprons Yet. Nor Have I Put Any Finish On It. Should I Wet One Side Then Fasten It Down And Finish It Or What. The Wood Is Hickory .

Many Thanks
    Tom

Don't know what shop conditions are but I would let it sit at least for a few days and let it stabilize be for doing anything to it. You could make matter worse by trying to work it too soon.

How was it stored in the house? And how long did the cupping take to occur?

If you layed the panel flat on something, then that side didn't get the same kind of ventilation as the exposed side and that'll surely cause cupping. My advice is to stand it vertically (make a few cleats if you have to) and let it sit for a week or so. That should straighten it back out (if i'm right about the cause). That's you're only option, really. Anything else would build in stress that may later show as cracking or joint failure.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

table top

i brought it in on sunday and it cupped over night . its sitting on the legs of the table with the same amount of air space above and below it . again it has no finish on it as of yet

thanks
    tom

Cupping of board

Tom:

I don't know if this will help or not. Several years ago, I made a raised panel out of cherry. I wanted to darken the cherry, so I set the panel out on the driveway in the sun and it cupped. When I discovered the cupping, I turned it over with the other side to the sun and the panel "uncupped." Once again - I don't know if this helps or not. I have no idea what your panel might do if you put it in the sun.

Steve

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    I'm with Dale. Let it stabilize to the house humidity for at least a week , after that it should lay flat. It's the same principle you should use when you purchase new solid wood, let it acclimate to your shop before doing any cutting.