Thread: Dyeing wood

Question Dyeing wood

i searched this forum for information on dyeing wood. I found a few examples and some general information about dye types and brands, but no actual proceedures. I have seen some pieces dyed with RIT dye, and would like to know the process with RIT or any other type of dye. If I use water based dye, does it raise the grain, and if so, will sanding the raised grain remove a significant amount of dye, or will it be negligible? In other words, how deep does the dye penetrate the wood. I turrned the test peice shown below from a chunk of silver maple salvaged from the landfill. It is a relatvely boring wood, and I thought I would try Dye to pop it out a little. This piece is firewood, but I thought it would be good for experimenting. The odd grain pattern is not grain. It is the cambium layer, (very punky) and the notch on top is the natural edge where the bark came off. I have more of this wood, and I want to see if the dye will make it more visually appealing, If not, I will probably chuck it, or try to cut it up for segmenting. It is almost as white as holly, and more consistent than some of the holly I have seen. Thanks for the help.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 12-11-2007 at 4:00 PM. Reason: Picture didn't attach

I not an expert here but 2 things I can tell you. H2O based will raise the grain so the best thing is to preraise it sna the fuss away and then you stain. sand to a nice finish before you preraise the grain but not all the way au there in grit so you don't close the grain that much.
    The color does not go deep at all.
    Lets see what else have to be said by the experts here.

I can't say I'm an expert, but here's what I know:

Water soluble, or aniline dyes can be dissolved by alcohol or water, but most will raise the grain of your work. The pros include ease of cleanup, ease of application, and color transparency.

Alcohol based dyes, or Non-Grain-Rasing (NGR) dyes won't raise the grain (naturally), and are also translucent. Of course, you may need mineral spirits to get them off your hands.

In the end, I'd definitley go with the Alcohol NGR dyes, specifically SOLAR-LUX by Behlen. They come in 4 colors, (blue, green, red, yellow) and can be mixed to form other colors.

Good luck and hope that helped.

Brian I am not expert either but the two I did I mixed with Denatured Alcohol. This will not raise the grain. Larry Hasiak told me if you use water sand lightly as the dye doesn't go real deep so he said just mix with alcohol and he said I would be good to go.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

What I know can be packed into a thimble. But those that do recommend reading Coloring Techniques For Woodturners. Which is (unfortunately) out of print. Rather then spend the ~$200 I have seen it asked for, check you inter-library loan program, or see if your local club has a copy

Also see Russ's Corner over at Wood Central
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Brian

I use Artisan Dye from Crafts Supply and on thier website in the instructions section you will find a document written by Jimmy Clewes (sorry if I mispell name) that you will find helpful.

I wipe on with paper towel, hand sand back edges with 600 grit and move on to next color. Before you start to dye wood make sure your sanding skills are up to snuff. Every scratch will be highlighted by the dye, very unforgiving process.

Added picture for fun.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

I'm no expert either, although I have used J.E. Moser's Aniline dye stains. This is a water based dye. I have used this on cabitet door panels before. This a small trial of three snack bowls for my family. Curly Hard maple sanded to 320 grit,wet the grain with distilled water sand again with 320 then dye. Sand with 400 and I was very agressive taking out most of the color then finished with my oils/poly mix. Red bowl is Russet amber,the yellow bowl is Golden Honey Amber and the bowl with the mineral staining is just plain oils/poly mix. Hope this helps.Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm no expert. We'll just leave it at that.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    David Marks does an episode on dying and finishes on woodworks. If you go on DIY.com you can check it out.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.