Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time turning Lyptus

1st time turning Lyptus

Most of you f--- work guys know that Lyptus is a managed hardwood tree that is super fast growing. I have used it several times for cutting boards, as the end-grain really stands out. It is super dense and heavy also.

11" across and 2" thick, turned on the lathe after glue up. Lyptus tends to splinter, so use super sharp tools and a fairly high speed. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's very good looking! Does it have a foot on it? I like it

Seems like a bit of a shame to cut on it. Very nice board, maybe cheese could just set there and age!

I agree with Skip Spalting that real cutting on that good looking piece is just about unthinkable. The cheese idea is a good one.

Suggestion: I received a gorgeous handcrafted walnut board a number of years ago as a gift. It had a wooden cheese "knife" as part of the package so that no metal blade would touch the finished wood and harm it. The knife is cool. The "blade" is walnut with really dark cherry "scales". The blade is full tang and it's glued and brass riveted. The board was 5/4 walnut with another piece glued on and carved as a handle. It's a treasure.

Your board is also a treasure. I love the treatment you gave it with careful consideration to grain plus the nifty across the grain stripe pattern, too. Very, very nice design.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

A little photo editing tip

When you do a rough edged cut-out as you did on the first pic, if your software has a "feathering" command, you might want to use it when you do that kind of an edit. It softens the edge a lot and makes it feel more like it's blended right into the page instead of a harsh or stark defining line.

Play with the amount of feathering. The numbers usually have to do with how many pixels will comprise the feather. If you're editing a 72dpi pic, 12 pixels would provide about 1/6th of an inch of softness. 18 pixels would mean 1/4". The softer edge would make your shot a little more artistic and less mechanical. Airbrushed instead of scissored scrapbooks, if that helps.

Just a thought from years in PhotoShop.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Looks great Robert. I have been wanting to make some of these, I really like utility stuff. Personally I have to disagree with what was said above, I think it would be a shame for this not to be used. When I give someone a utility piece I'd rather see them use it, than set it aside.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Great looking piece Robert. I really like that wood. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've read about this type of wood and understand it is gaining in popularity but this is the first time I've seen it. Looks great! Only have to ask one dumb question: What kind of glue did you use?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice work you got there. I really like it. Beautiful finish.

Beautiful wood and excellent execution of the glue up, very nice turning also.Tim

Very nicely done Robert. I hope who ever ends up with it uses it as intended.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Blog Entries
    A very nice cutting board excellent use of wood.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Robert, very nice indeed, I would use it especally with guests or if it was for some special friends , if it gets too funky just take a quick cut on it and away you go.
    John 3:16

Very interesting!

That wood reminds me of some of the more expensive imported hardwoods. The piece is realy beautiful, and i hope useful. I have a teak cheese board that I have used for 35 years with sharp edged steel knives and it still pleases me to get it out of the cupboard and put it to use. So it is your call. Enjoy.
    Bob

That is one lovely board, Robert.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III