Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenlighted for a new jointer

Actually, if you go to this ebay auction (260180035858), Bibb has the Shop Fox W1741 for a buy-it-now price of $842.33 with free shipping. Probably still have to wait if they are out of stock, but they are showing two different auctions at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    But keep in mind the Shop Fox comes with an extra year of warranty (2 vs 1 for the Griz) for that additional $17.
    Interesting, I was just throwing out another option, I didn't know about the warranty difference.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    But keep in mind the Shop Fox comes with an extra year of warranty (2 vs 1 for the Griz) for that additional $17.
    Interesting, I was just throwing out another option, I wasn't aware that Shop Fox had a better warranty.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I have the 8" GO490 and really like it but it is limiting, however the price was right at the time. I buy rough sawn that is just over 11" wide. Should have gone with a 12" model and I would have never been sorry. I say that if you have the funds and space go 12" minimum with something. It still works if it is to large but will not work if it is to small.

Whoops! Double post.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Blog Entries
    I really need to see an 8 and 12 side by side. Anyone know of a dealer that might have say either shopfox or delta in stock in michigan?

Comparing the two sizes is a good idea, but I've never seen a 12" in a showroom. My local Woodcraft told me anything over 8" was considered "industrial" by Delta, so they didn't carry anything over 12". They said they could order it, but would have to say it was for a school, or something. It had something to do with warranties and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    My local Woodcraft told me anything over 8" was considered "industrial" by Delta, so they didn't carry anything over 12". They said they could order it, but would have to say it was for a school, or something. It had something to do with warranties and support.
    That is really wild! Three of my major tools are Delta but sounds like they may not want my business anymore. There's more than one place to buy a tool.

^^ Agreed. I think Woodcraft has dropped Delta in favor of Steel City, anyway. I've never seen a 12" Steel City jointer at Woodcraft, but perhaps they're more readily available than the Delta machines.

Blog Entries
    I spoke with grizz earlier today and I dont think the 12in is in my cards at the moment, the mobility factor is going to be key with 7'6" of tables in a 2car sized shop. They dont have a mobile base that will work with it and advise against putting it on one. I wont rule out the idea of a combo machine because it is small enought that I can position it to be somewhat stationary and it is light enough that I can get it on a mobile base if needed. I need to spend a little more time squeezing the turnip to get a bit more green blood to give more options...

Brent,
    Depending on how much "green blood" you get out of that turnip of yours do look at a nice J/P combo. There are many companies to consider: MM, SCM, Felder, Hammer,Format, Laguna, Knapp, Casedei, Rojek, Kufo, Jet, Grizzly.....and many more. I still have a 16"er and it also is my horizontal mortiser, so it serves three functions. This baby is around 1000lbs or so so it ain't small but it does have a mobility kit which works quite well. One other thing to really consider is a Tersa head....really really really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti View Post
    Brent,
    . One other thing to really consider is a Tersa head....really really really nice
    That tersa head is the only reason I chose a MM over the competitors, ie, Griz.

joe

p.s. I am pretty confident that I would have been very very happy with the the new Griz combo, but it wasn't quite available when I wanted it.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I don't even have a jointer. Trying to get the wife to agree on one. Thought I would get a 6" one to learn on and if I stay with woodworking someday an 8" jointer would be on the list. Every one says to get the 8" now and your talking about a 12" jointer.
    Good luck
    Stacey

I have seen a show where the wood worker had a 16" jointer. Who wouldn't want one if they had the room but I would ask myself if I intended to glue up boards wider than 8". If i understand it correctly you are better of gluing up narrower boards so a wider jointer wouldn't be as useful. I do find having a twenty in. planer very handy after glue ups. Maybe think of spending the extra money there.

Keith, a jointer wider than 8" comes in handy. With highly figured woods it's nice to use a skew cut on the jointer. With a 6" or 8" wide board a 14" or 16" jointer is about the right size for a skew cut. I find the width of my 14" jointer most useful for flattening turning stock I've rip cut with the chain saw prior to making a bowl blank on a bandsaw. Finally it's very handy for preparing those choice wide boards that really make a project.