Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend Airshield and Airshield Pro

Trend Airshield and Airshield Pro

Trying to decide if the new unit is worth the extra money. Anyone tried it?

Recent review (I thing in Woodshop News, if I recall clearly) indicated that the new version is more comfortable/balanced and has significantly longer battery life.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last I heard, the pro version won't be available until February.

I did try the Pro at a ww show, and it is significantly improved, I could wear one all day.

I am curious what the niche is for these type masks. They are not respirators, they can not filter out organic vapors, they don't act as eye protection (you must wear safety glasses under the shield).

So if I comprehend its application, the AirShield is a glorified dust mask with some added chip protection from the large shield. Which I can see being ideal for turners. Is this an accurate description? If not, what am I missing here?

I have the Trend, regular one not this new model. It is ideal for turning. Provides a protection against chips to the face, and filters the air so you don't have dust boogers Seriously though, for me keeping all that dust out of my eyes is worth it.

Its nice to have the cool air flowing, creating positive pressure in the mask.

The new model looks cool, probably a bit more comfortable? and it has been said it has a longer battery life.

I am not sure if the Trend is necessary for general wordworking if you already have a dust collector.
    One good turn deserves another

Will, you are correct that these are not high-end protection products, but the comfort you gain relative to nuisance dust control and air flow that eliminates fogging means that it's easy to wear a full face mask for long periods of time when doing certain activities, such as turning. (One must still wear safety glasses under these masks) I rarely used a full face mask before I bought my Trend. Now I do when I'm at the lathe and well beyond when doing the rough work, too.
    --

Understood guys, thanks.....

I remember reading a knock on the Airshield... its filters did not filter out the super small micron dust particles, which are so injurious to us.... I think the filters only stopped 10 micron particles or larger? Comments?

Will, it's not a NIOSH approved device and therefore the expectation should be adjusted relative to dust filtration. I don't wear mine because of dust and when sanding at the lathe I have a direct pickup right behind the piece being worked. The fact that it does filter some is nice, but the "deflective protection" is key for me.

If you need a full face shield to be specific for dust protection including the "fine-fines", you'll need to go more up-scale in cost to achieve it.
    --

If you want something better 3M Adflo Clear Visor is one option

I have been down this path before. I had purchased the Trend, which I thought was uncomfortable because of weight imbalance and returned it. With additional search I found the 3M product (see link below):
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...learVisor.html

This does fine filtration as well as available organic vapor cartridges for finishing. Also, no need for safety glasses while using this.

I have not tried this in person, therefore don't know how comfortable it is. Obviously, it is more expensive than Trend.

I'm a believer

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I did try the Pro at a ww show, and it is significantly improved, I could wear one all day.

I am curious what the niche is for these type masks. They are not respirators, they can not filter out organic vapors, they don't act as eye protection (you must wear safety glasses under the shield).

So if I comprehend its application, the AirShield is a glorified dust mask with some added chip protection from the large shield. Which I can see being ideal for turners. Is this an accurate description? If not, what am I missing here?
    Will, I'm a converted believer. I had my doubts about the trend because of the price and the battery restrictions. After having no trouble with dust irritation as a younger man, I suddenly started seeing the signs of chronic dust irritation and discomfort in my lungs and sinuses now that I'm middle aged. I looked at the trend and researched it for over a year before purchasing my own.

Jim Becker is absolutely correct that this isn't a stand alone dust filtration solution. I was aware of the limitations regarding fine dust but I had already purchased a Jet filtration unit for the stuff that escaped the dc and floated around in the air. When used in tandem with a filtration unit and source point dust abatement as Jim uses on his lathe, I believe the trend does provide a beneficial component in a strong line of defense against the dust demons. Maybe it's just a placebo effect but I'm not wheezing and hacking anymore after an evening in the shop.

So now I find myself wearing my trend for an hour or two at a time with no real restriction or discomfort. I wear it at the lathe and during sanding sessions, but also for my extended journey down the cut sheet at the table saw and chop saw.

I'm kind of scratching my head about all the talk concerning imbalance. I must have a crooked head. Any discomfort from the trend is offset by not trying to keep a dust mask and safety glasses from getting tangled up in the on/off on/off process. And that's not to mention the time I save looking for where I put those darn safety glasses after every setup.

I'm already saving for an upgrade to the pro version, but I'll keep my original as a spare or for use by the young people I tutor in the shop. If the price is not an absolute impediment, I recommend the trend.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Great input..... I guess everything is relative...some protection is always better than no protection, but since it's the fine dust particles, I believe <5 microns that do the most damage, (at least based on Bill Pentz data), then it seems the Trend serves more as a 1st order of defense. And as Dennis mentioned, it has helped him, I have no doubt it is a great product for ww's ....

Frank, I too am looking hard at plowing some big dough into a
    3M Adflo PAPR High Efficiency Multi Gas and Vapor System with 3M ClearVisor

The reason is, I am becoming sensitive to many things, not just dust, but moreso, glues and finishes. Headaches are too frequent. From what I can ascertain, the 3m system will solve both dust and organic vapors, with one mask - by simply changing the filters (I think). I am trying to get more information on the details of their masks and accessories. I really like the forced air concept, as its easy to breath, prevents fogging (for us heavy sweaters) and hopefully, the 3m face shield will replace the need for safety glasses. If so, all things considered, I would consider the 3m a health insurance policy :-)

Any users care to ring in?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I have been down this path before. I had purchased the Trend, which I thought was uncomfortable because of weight imbalance and returned it. With additional search I found the 3M product (see link below):

This does fine filtration as well as available organic vapor cartridges for finishing. Also, no need for safety glasses while using this.

I have not tried this in person, therefore don't know how comfortable it is. Obviously, it is more expensive than Trend.
    I have the 3M Adflo Clearvisor. If you search through the old threads, I give a review of the Trend, 3M Airstream and 3M Adflo Clearvisor. I first started with the Trend, but now I use the 3M Adflo. I do still have the Airstream which is a fine model. If you want clean air and filtration that can block everything, then the Adflo is second to none. I love it and never do anything in the shop without it on.
    chris

13. Smile Powered Respirators

I spoke with Trend today and yes the Pro model is delayed til at least Feb. if not March. And worse than that, they did not receive the NIOSH approval for respiratory protection.

The new Airshield therefore may be a better unit but it does not provide better protection. If I was looking for additional filtration I would by the original Trend Airshield for $239. This unit does provide some protection since it is a European product and meets their standards.
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ir-shield.html

For straight woodturning nothing beets the 3M Airshield. It provides HEPA protection, an earmuff kit is available, and the enitre system is contained in the helmet. This unit is balanced very well and it not too heavy.
    About $759 with a charger.
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...PR-System.html

And like Christopher I am a big fan of the 3M Adflo ClearVisor System. This system has many unique features. The filters stack and you can remove the Organic Vapor cartridge when you don't need it. The system has an inexpensive prefilter and the motor will increase its speed when needed to provide a consistent amount of airflow. The unit tells you when to change the filter and alerts you about battery life. What I like the most is that I can run this system for 8-10 hours on a 3 hour charge. The unit runs about $848 as a complete system and is a bargain compared to the other units.

Yes all of the links go back to the same company, but if you want to talk about repiratory protection these guys know their stuff. They work a lot of the wood shows in California. Even if you have simple needs they have great advise. I think I have purchased about every powered air purifying respirator (PAPR) made, but hey I value my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    The reason is, I am becoming sensitive to many things, not just dust, but moreso, glues and finishes.
    Will, anyone who has definite sensitivities should, in my opinion, make the investment in the type of protection necessary to mitigate it. Catch this now as real wood dust sensitivities can tend to get worse with exposure and could potentially knock you out of even minor woodworking for good. That happened to my locksmith...he used to be a carver. Can't do it anymore and has to wear protection just to drill a wood door.
    --

Will,
    I have an older model 3M--I think it's the Airstream. I use it pretty much all the time and it's reasonably comfortable. Once you get used to clean air it's hard going back. Spend the money, I don't think you'll regret it.

Mark
    Mark R