Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic switch started TS when I dropped wooden legs on table

Question Magnetic switch started TS when I dropped wooden legs on table

Is this normal?

I have a JET cabinet saw and I was making some legs for my out feed table, when I dropped (maybe slammed a bit) a set of 4 on the table saw surface...and the table saw started up.

Also I have a 220V switch in the line for the saw (on the wall, so kids cannot turn on the saw) and when I turned on the saw this morning the saw started too.

Any suggestions? Is the switch on the fritz? If so can I replace it with something simpler that is more reliable and not magentic? This is a used saw no longer under warranty.

Sounds like a bad switch to me. I would replace it with another magnetic one. You sure do not want that thing coming back on if you get a surge while you are using it.

That's always been a problem with magnetic switches. I watched a guy hit a table saw motor with just his hand, and time after time the motor would start.

I had a similar problem with a Griz shaper, didn't happen all the time, and the first time or two I put it down to dust or something in the switch. I cleaned the switch and looked for broken parts, no luck, so when it happened again I replaced the switch, no problems since. I never did find out why or what was happening, keep us informed.

I had one of the griz switches that the cover was too tight around the on button. It would partially stick, sometimes causing the saw to come on again after I had just shut it off.
    I removed the cover and enlarged the hole with a file.

A nice explanation by Rick Christopherson, who posts here from time to time:

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Arti...icstarters.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Thanks that was an excellent article...now what to do? if anything, perhaps find a way to secure it more rigidly to the saw?

Thanks for posting this

I've used them for decades and never knew a magnetic switch could turn on this way. Might be one bad accident averted. Never before in the habit of unplugging, that just changed!

- Jack
    Jack Hutchinson

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    This is Too Scary!!!
    Play Safe
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hutchinson View Post
    I've used them for decades and never knew a magnetic switch could turn on this way. Might be one bad accident averted. Never before in the habit of unplugging, that just changed!

- Jack
    i'm glad i read this post, i too am(was) guilty of not unplugging the ts to change a blade.

That is damned scary! None of my tools have magnetic switches but I always thought they were a safety device. I never change cutters with the tool plugged in but I can think of other scenarios when setting up for a cut that could be quite hazardous.

I'll thank ya too, while I'll unplug about 90% of the time, that will now change to all the time.

Al...who uses enough band aids as it is....
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Unplug!

i'll be unplugging all of my tools. I'm guilty of not unplugging for a blade change too.

pretty darn scary is right. i would have nightmares if i lost fingers to a saw that started itself. i might not be able to woodwork for fear of my tools trying to get me.

ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

I've got the willies too. My saw doesn't have a magnetic switch and the switch is pretty well shielded from accidental contact, but once something slips or falls over, who knows what could happen. I'll unplug from now on!

It helps to have a plug in box mounted on the saw where you can reach it from the operating position. Since it is so convenient it almost becomes second nature to unplug it when changing blades.