Thread: CMT multi profile shaper cutter set

CMT multi profile shaper cutter set

Anyone out there have any experience with the #692.013.09 set mentioned in the title?? I'm contemplating this set. It has M2 steel knives, not carbide, so that's a point of interest. Having a surface grinder at work means a quick dusting to sharpen them up. I'm not a production shop, so is it really a big deal to go HSS vs. carbide? I don't really have plans for building a kitchen full of rail and stile doors, so the set won't see much run time and the set comes with a grip of other handy profiles eg. glue joints etc. to tempt me. Did I mention cost is a factor? Well, it is.

Whattya think??
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Hi Kyle, I have a similar cutterhead that takes the 40mm knives, and I am very happy with it. My cutterhead may be larger in diameter, it's slightly over 4", plus knife projection.

I use it for tongue and grooves, profiles, rebating, cope and stick and panel raising.

I purchased it because I had a summer job at a factory that made molding for picture frames etc, and we ran HSS knives in stickers day in, day out.

The HSS knives in the stickers would run 1,000 to 2,000 linear feet of moulding before requiring sharpening, depending upon the wood. Obviously they are not suitable for plywood, MDF etc.

I run my cutterhead at 8,000 RPM, which works out to about 9,500 ft/min, right in the middle of the hardwood range for HSS cutters.

The HSS cutters produce a very smooth finish, and they are aproximately $15 a pair.

Regards, Rod.

Rod,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're a happy customer with some good statistics. I think as you stated the HSS knives will work just fine for me, the casual user!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.