Thread: Bosch ROS problem

Bosch ROS problem

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and very happy I found this site, this is a very well run and nice place to be. I have been a member and posted on other sites for several years, but they just didn't seem to measure up to the level the Sawmill forums and I wanted to find a better forum to become a member of.

Now that that has been said, here is my question:
    I have a Bosch 1295 DVS and while it's a good ROS, I have been replacing the pad on it every 6-9 months because the sanding disk no longer sticks to the hook & loop pad on the bottom of the sander. Before I order and replace the pad (again) is there a way to clean the hook & loop pad so I don't need to buy another one?

Funny you should say that!

I just had that problem with mine so I'll add my input.

When one sanding disc did not stick, another one that looked identical stuck just fine.

I have been over-using the discs and fraying the edges of the rubber pad. I just trimmed off the damaged part and ordered some new discs.

The other minor issue I have with the Bosch is that the dust canister doesn't stay shut. Otherwise the sander does a fine job.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

It's a great sander when it works. Mine just quit for the second time since I bought it in May. I haven't even used it very much. The first time it went out the variable speed switch was replaced. When I asked the guy at the repair shop if it would take long he said that it wouldn't because he keeps the switches in stock. To me that doesn't sound very good. I haven't had a chance to take the sander in this week and with the holiday coming I'm sure I won't get it back very quickly. BTW - I even hooked mine up to a Dust Deputy and ShopVac to cut down on dust thinking that might help. Obviously it didn't.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Brian is on target here. I stopped having the problem when I started buying quality discs. The BORG products with the exception of Norton 3X (and others I'm sure I just haven't tried them) fail prematurely when it comes to grip. The money I thought I was saving on cheaper discs was lost when they failed to be usable to the end of their usefulness(???) . . . you know what I mean. Norton 3X, Mirka and Klingspor have never given me the problem.

Also, I have used the heck outta my sander and not had any of the brush, switch or pad wearing issues I have read about. I do let the sander's weight do the work. If it is not cutting fast enough I switch grits and never bear down on the tool . . . OK, well almost never ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler