Thread: Impressed by an old Delta

Smile Impressed by an old Delta

Ive been hunting for a band saw for awhile and I finally found one on graigslist this weekend. I was struggling with the 14 vs. waiting and getting an 18 but with a budget and the need to resaw I went for an old Delta 14 inch. It's in great condition with the extension block installed already and I love the fence. I paid 300(this is where you tell me if I got ripped or not) which I thought was a great deal considering the condition. It does however have a 3/4 hp motor which I planned to replace with a bigger motor because all of the 14 inchers have 1 1/2 to 2 hp motors now. I took it completely apart and cleaned every screw and tuned it up and put the brand new Timberwolf on the guy gave me with the saw. I resawed some 5 inch poplar and it ran through it like butter! I am giddy because this thing works so well and it's built so solid.
    I'd love to find out how old this saw is if possible and if anyone has any tips on how to get the striations out of the cut or any other tips for a new band saw owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

I would think if you called Delta or sent them a E:mail that they could tell you when the saw was made if you gave them a model and serial number. Mark Duginske has a book out on bandsaws that may interest you. http://www.amazon.com/Band-Saw-Handb.../dp/0806963980

I think you got a great deal. I've been trying to find a fence like that because it's one of the best. They've been going for well over $100 just for the fence. I also think you're right that you'll need a larger motor if you are going to use the full resaw capacity.

Nice score!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

If I was to upgrade the motor would one from grizzly be a good bet or is there a better source and would I have to change the pulleys? Do you think there would be any problems with 2 hp motor for this saw? Thanks
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Like Chuck said, you can call Delta, but in the mean time, I don't think its that old. My 2000 vintage table saw has the same Made in the USA sticker. I think you got a great deal. I paid $175 for mine (I think), then another $120 for the riser block, then $25 for a new switch like yours to replace the worn out one which was installed in the base. You also got a good blade with yours.

On the motor upgrade, everyone is going to tell you Lesson or Baldor. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend vs. how long you want it to last. Most likely even a cheap motor is going to last quite some time in a hobby shop. I'd watch Craigslist for a motor deal and just use what you have until then. I planned to change mine from the stock 3/4HP, but haven't yet.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-12-2007 at 4:16 PM.

Considering that there's a similar Delta bandsaw on eBay that someone wants $1250 for, and others on Craigslist that list for more than $300, I'd say you got a great deal.

I'd hold off on the motor upgrade until you actually need it. There is so much more that goes into good resawing than the HP of the motor, including the blade, the wood, and technique, that you may be trying to upgrade something that doesn't need upgrading. I have an old Walker-Turner bandsaw with a 1/2 HP motor, and I can resaw 8" boards. I actually think that a powerful motor on a bandsaw makes you think that you can resaw a board with a dull blade, when you really should be using a sharp blade instead.

I'd wait until you find a board that you can't resaw with a sharp blade before upgrading the motor. But if you really want to do it, Leeson or Baldor is the way to go, as Matt said.

There's a parts diagram for a Delta 28-203 bandsaw that's dated 1999, so your bandsaw is probably about 10 years old, max.

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    If I was to upgrade the motor would one from grizzly be a good bet or is there a better source and would I have to change the pulleys? Do you think there would be any problems with 2 hp motor for this saw? Thanks
    I put a two hp on mine and it works great. I first ordered a Leeson but when it got here the shaft size was wrong and Leeson said they did not have a 2hp motor with the correct size shaft that turned in the correct direction so I ordered one from Grizzly and so far it is running fine. Baldor may have one. Get the correct shaft size and reuse your old pulley then the speed will be correct.

Wow! It sounds like you got a fantastic deal. I'm kinda jealous. I've been watching craigslist for months... I finally went out and bought the 28-276 for $399 from Lowes and all I can say is "they don't make 'em like they used to."

Have fun with the bandsaw and happy woodworking!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

James,

If I recall correctly, from the serial number that band saw was made in March 1995.

the "95" is the year. The months are listed as "A" is january, "B" Is February and "C" is March.

Burt