Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Edge, Belt and/or Disc Sander Do You Recommend?

What Edge, Belt and/or Disc Sander Do You Recommend?

I want to add a sanding machine to my tool collection. I currently own a Festool 150/3 hand sander, an old jitterbug, and a small table spindle sander. I'd like to add an edge sander, or maybe a belt/disc combination floor machine. I build furniture and built-in cabinets.

1. What do you use and why do you use it?
    2. What brand machine do you like? (Jets have some deals going on at the moment)

Jeff...I made the "mistake" of buying a combo sander a few years ago. It's certainly a fine machine, but I've only used the disk once (and that was because I just didn't want to move the machine enough to get to the belt) and find that the belt is not in the best orientation for what my real sanding needs turned out to be. So, at some point it will be replaced with an edge sander as yet to be identified. I'd love to get an oscillating version, but it will probably hinge on cost at that point. And like you, I build furniture and cabinetry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    I want to add a sanding machine to my tool collection. I currently own a Festool 150/3 hand sander, an old jitterbug, and a small table spindle sander. I'd like to add an edge sander, or maybe a belt/disc combination floor machine. I build furniture and built-in cabinets.

2. What brand machine do you like? (Jets have some deals going on at the moment)
    Before you buy a tool that has limited use, think floor space.

You can build yourself a disc sander fairly easily. There are plans in Danny Proulx's book on workshop workstations. I built one a number of months ago and finally used it on a project recently. It worked great, I built mine with a 12" disc, total cost was bout $50 (mostly the cost of the motor).

I have also been looking at edge sanders myself This one looks interesting. http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...=10&tool=55230
    The Oscillating feature seems to be an good extra to have. Jet now has one on their web page like the Steel City unit. My guess the reason why Jet has the non-oscillating unit at a good price. I just am having a hard time justifying the $900 for my hobby shop.

edge sander

In my opinion the edge sander is the way to go. you can get a decent one for about $800. This will allow you to do cabinet doors, table legs, and outer radius, I used mine all day today edge sanding 40 frames for a hair salon and within one hour glass smooth.

Grizzly has a floor standing unit that has gotten good reviews and is in the $700 range (non oscillating). I have been lusting after one but it is a lot of money.

The platen size is important as well as the motor hp. Want to be able to sand doors for cabinets as easily as possible with no stalling or slowing of the belt.

See here- G0512 is my pick

http://grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=440000

Wish someone who had one would weigh in.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I have the
    Delta Oscillating Edge Sander w/ Spindle Sanding Attachment

Model 31-396

http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-396.html

Great machine. Not really for the hobby shop at $1900

Grizzly G1014 combo sander:
    6 x 48" belt
    9" Disc

Although it was the best price in this size, I bought it because of the ease of belt change. I use the sander not only for rough shaping work, but also for fine sanding boxes. It helped me make about a dozen boxes last Christmas with no glitches.

The edge sander might be better for many people because of right angle to the table, but this one suits me best.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Ben, I was just looking at those units. I think I like the G0563 better...longer belt and it does have the oscillating feature. The color is more compatible with my shop, too... ...I'm really not a fan of green tools no matter what the brand. But, of course...more money for that guy! Oh, well...
    --

The Jet works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    Jeff, I have the Jet oscillating edge sander and it has exceeded all my expectations for the price I paid. It is a powerful machine and has eliminated a lot of sanding time on those annoying skinny pieces of face frames so I don't think you'll go wrong if you go ahead and get the Jet

The only issue I've had so far is the dust. It really puts it out and the dust port is wholly inadequate in design and you can't even use it when using the auxillary table for shaping or contouring pieces. I'm working on a hood design but for now I'm clamping a shop vac hose to augment the main dust port to catch some of what got away. I still wear my airshield whenever the Jet is working.

I don't necessarily recommend the Jet over the other oscillators because I haven't used them. I just got a good price and I've had good experience with a couple other Jet machines so I pulled the string on this one.

Overall it has been a dream machine. I wouldn't waste my time considering the combo machines. Get as much of an edge sander as you can afford because it really replaces any need for a disc sander that I can think of. I was excited to get rid of my old disc sander combo once I got the jet. I now regret having waited so long to get it. Good luck.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ben, I was just looking at those units. I think I like the G0563 better...
    The G0563 is a sweet machine.... it makes every other tool in my shop look like garbage (upgrade time...not). This was one of those times when the trip to the Grizzly showroom paid off; the G0563 was definitely above my price range, and I intended to buy G1530/G1140, but it such a huge step in build quality and robustness above the others that I knew that I would always be sorry if I didn't splurge on this machine.

'Glad to hear you like yours, Tim...it's definitely on my short list once I get my lumber storage moved upstairs. I need the room to be able to add anything of that size to my shop footprint. And then there is the need to pay for this home addition before anything else moves into the shop. Other than some hand-tools, I'm in "materials only" purchasing mode at present! Oh, I would consider heading up to the show-room for this with my trailer...simply because it would be an enjoyable endeavor. Otherwise, their shipping is actually reasonable and much less time consuming.
    --

Edge sander

I have a vega non occilating edge sander. 6x42. I use that thing all the time. It has the largest platten of the under $1500 class. It is one of the only one that I found that you can do unlimited length material. All of the grizzly's have the dust shoots permanantly mounted and all you can do is a piece the length of the table.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Lightbulb You Guys ~

are going to laugh at me probably but it was a practical and great idea in my eyes - a disk sander -hmmmmm, Do you have a lathe with a faceplate? I have a 20" faceplate that I attach to the Oliver Lathe and I use this as my disk sander as well as a lathe. I just buy the round disks and stick them on with spray adhesive. It does a fantastic job- I have my dust collection on a swivel so all the dust gets sucked write into it. I was walking out the door one day on my way to get one and just happened to glance at my plates on the wall- ? an idea flashed through my head - mounted some mdf on the plate - turned it round and faced - tacked the disk I had laying around and the rest is history.I also can change the speed on the VFD which comes in handy as well. I saved myself $400- I was on my way to look at an older Oliver sander which would have cut down what space I have in my shop and my wallet width as well.
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 12-13-2007 at 11:54 AM.