Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Gloat and Question

Major Gloat and Question

Unless something unexpected occurs, next Monday my wife and I will close on a new house. The house is great, but I'm particularly excited about one thing. Out back it has a building with a mother-in-law suite and, you guessed it, a garage I'll convert to a workshop (see pic). Right now, the garage is only 12' x 30', but I'l plan the next year or so to knock out part of the wall and extend it to a 30x30 or so. The small guest house has it's own electrical service, with a 200 amp panel, so it's really a perfect situation for my shop. Yeehaa!

On a related note and to my question, I'll be populating the shop also over the next 2-3 years. For the past couple of years, I've been working our of our current garage and sharing space for vehicles and storage. As a result, I've kept things small and invested in several good handtools and portable power tools (Festool mostly). Now, with more space, I plan on getting a good collection of basic machines, like tablesaw, planer/jointer combo, bandsaw, drill press, etc.

It seems like a constant problem with big machinery is "This thing is heavy! How the heck do I move this thing around?" Mobile bases obviously are sometimes an option, but it may not be ideal for all machines. For example, I'm planning on getting a jointer/planer combo, and I've read mixed reports on mobile bases for those units.

My question: has anyone ever considered or tried constructing some quality pallets, with good wood and good bracing, for their machinery and simply using a pallet jack to move it around when necessary. I'm tall, so the extra 3-4 inches a pallet would add might actually be more comfortable to me. This approach seems like a good idea for several reasons. Cost, for example, would be attractive, since you could invest in one $200 pallet jack versus a $100-150 mobile base for each machine. A good pallet jack would have no problem with even the heaviest machinery, and the machine would be rock solid when being used.

It seems like a simple and good solution, but it doesn't seem like a common recomendation, so I'm worried I may be missing something. Why wouldn't this work well?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

It's a fine idea~!! Safer than having a wheel no matter whether it's a locking wheel or not all wheels translate movement even when locked.
    Zambus casters would be more expensive assuming you own a pallet jack.

Sounds good in theory but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben West View Post
    My question: has anyone ever considered or tried constructing some quality pallets, with good wood and good bracing, for their machinery and simply using a pallet jack to move it around when necessary.
    It seems like a simple and good solution, but it doesn't seem like a common recomendation, so I'm worried I may be missing something. Why wouldn't this work well?
    Maneuverability would be an issue. I've used a few pallet jacks in my time and they take a bit of space to use properly. You need 6 feet or so of clearance in the front of each machine to line up the jack and then move the machine. Sounds good in theory but I don't think it would work in a 30 by 30 shop.

But I'm not sure you'll need as much mobility as you think. That is the size of my shop and I have the planer, jointer, and bandsaw on mobile bases. But those are the only large tools I ever need to move. I put my table saw in place 5 or six years ago and it has never moved. 900 square feet is going to give you much more flexibility than your previous space.

But I'd say the mobile base would be far superior to a pallet system. You'd also be taking up quite a bit of space for the pallet jack itself.
    Last edited by Dennis Hatchett; 12-12-2007 at 5:55 PM.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

With a 30x30 space you won't need to move machines often. I would even consider a hydraulic engine lift and some good rigging straps for unloading and the occasional move.

I have a 20x30 shop. My 12" jointer does not have a mobile base, but is attached to 4x4s on each end. I use a pallet jack to move it when necessary. It works fine. I have some of my equipment on mobile bases, so I can move some stuff (table saw) if I need room to jockey the pallet jack around.

A pallet set up would not be a bad idea except that the footprint of the pallet would, in most cases, extend beyond the foot print of the average WW machine. I think you would find it to be very bothersome, especially for longer pieces that you would start cutting away from the machine and walk to it, having to know when to step up (would be safety problem talking your eyes away from looking at the work). As for maneuverability, (no disrespect intended to Dennis) with practice you can maneuver in surprisingly tight spaces (I have had many years experience with using a pallet jack). As for storing it when not in use you just leave it under the last thing you move. Having said all that it may still be viable if you where to custom make the pallets to better fit each individual machine to avoid the large footprint of a standard pallet. Also, with custom made pallets you could incorporate levelers. I have been thinking of getting a pallet jack for a while because as you mentioned it would be handy for moving other stuff as well.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

I made a mobile base for my 52" exacta saw out of 2x4's and plywood using mortise and tenon. It is leveled (and raised off the wheels) with 9/16 threaded rod with wooden feet and a nut welded on to turn it with a drill and socket. The rod is attached through two nuts (one on the bottom and one on top) morticed into the base at each point you want a leg. The best thing about this idea is its custom made for the setup and you don't have to store a large pallet jack. I didn't have any pallet jack ideas.

I would personally make your own custom stands/pallets etc. and make some small mobil carts. 2 carts and a 1.5 or 2 ton floor jack to lift your machine and put a cart under an end or two... All are light, take up nearly no space at all, and will do the job you desire.

As you say, you are tall so it may be likely that you will want to lift a few of your machines anyway.

A pallet Jack takes up a butt load more room than some may think. Leaving it under a machine still leaves the handle wagging about as well.

I like my idea. .You should too!!!

Anchor
    A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet.

My next tool will be the last tool I ever need!

Ben, as exciting as it is that you'll be getting a new shop you're obviously missing out on the more important opportunity before you. That is, of course, if you are moving to Starkville and not leaving it. Starkville is the birthplace of Jerry Rice, which is (excuse me while I blasphem) akin to Bethlehem . I hope you don't mind if I come hang out in your mother-in-law apartment with a pair of binoculars waiting for a certain #80 to show up. Congratualtions on the shop and keep us update with pics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Engine hoist or some other type of HD mobile hoist - either a good used one, or check out harbor freight - unless you want a mobile base on each machine regardless.

The mobile hoist may come in handy to lift other things off trucks, etc.

Many of the J/P machines can be moved with a pallet jack without any modification or any pallet. Mine can, although it does have a mobility kit. I really don't move it, however. The only way to move my sliding saw is with a pallet jack!! The one issue with a pallet solution is that it typically will raise a machine several inches which may not be comfortable with you. The Euro design machines are often designed to accommodate lift points without raising things.

Oh, and I do hope you get that property...that's going to be a wonderful shop! (And when you get in the dog-house, you'll still have a warm place to sleep...LOL!)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-12-2007 at 9:18 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben West View Post
    My question: has anyone ever considered or tried constructing some quality pallets, with good wood and good bracing, for their machinery and simply using a pallet jack to move it around when necessary. I'm tall, so the extra 3-4 inches a pallet would add might actually be more comfortable to me. This approach seems like a good idea for several reasons. Cost, for example, would be attractive, since you could invest in one $200 pallet jack versus a $100-150 mobile base for each machine. A good pallet jack would have no problem with even the heaviest machinery, and the machine would be rock solid when being used.

Ben,

First, CONGRATULATIONS! I am exceedingly jealous of your new digs.

Second, unless you go overboard buying huge machines, I don't think you're going to need to move the bigger items nearly as much as you may be imagining. 900 sq. ft. is a pretty good space if you plan carefully. If I had that much space I would only move the big machines once every year or two to clean. The smaller ones could easily go on mobile bases. I got the one I use under my TS for $25 on sale.

As to your pallet idea: I think the main issue that you'll run into is that the footprint of most shop machines is much smaller than the width of the arms on a pallet jack. So, if you have a joiner, for example, sitting on a pallet in the middle of the floor, the pallet will be sticking out in the way of your feet when you're trying to mill stock and it would definitely be a trip hazard. Plus, you're going to have to store the pallet jack somewhere. I think you would lose more floor space to the pallets than the machines.

JMHO
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Talking

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yes, I'm shouting it and I'm green with envy too. That's exactly the kind of situation I'm hoping my wife and I will be able to find within the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hatchett View Post
    Maneuverability would be an issue. I've used a few pallet jacks in my time and they take a bit of space to use properly. You need 6 feet or so of clearance in the front of each machine to line up the jack and then move the machine. Sounds good in theory but I don't think it would work in a 30 by 30 shop.

But I'm not sure you'll need as much mobility as you think. That is the size of my shop and I have the planer, jointer, and bandsaw on mobile bases. But those are the only large tools I ever need to move. I put my table saw in place 5 or six years ago and it has never moved. 900 square feet is going to give you much more flexibility than your previous space.

But I'd say the mobile base would be far superior to a pallet system. You'd also be taking up quite a bit of space for the pallet jack itself.
    What Dennis said. I really think that Dennis is correct in all that he said and have nothing else to add.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 12-12-2007 at 7:52 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Russell,

Actually, we're doing neither. We've lived in Starkville for 6 years, and we're simply moving across town to a new house and new shop. Jerry Rice is a folk hero around here, that's for sure.

You come by and stay in the mother-in-law apartment anytime. I'll put you to work in the attached shop! And, in our spare time, we can go watch the Bulldogs play and clang a cowbell.

Actually, Anchor, I like your idea a lot. When you say small, I assume you mean something like a 2' x 2' cart or similar?