Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap workbench

Cheap workbench

Hello all,

This is my first time posting to this forum.

I just thought I would post some pictures of a workbench I made this year. It isn't finished, but at least it is to the point that I can use it.

I read a few books about workbenches before I made it, "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis, and "The Workbench" by Lon Schleining. After reading these books I started dreaming about the bench I would like to have. And after I spent too much time dreaming..... I set my sites a little lower and here is the result.

I set out to make something real cheap and real quick, and did I mention I wanted it to be real cheap. It also couldn't cost too much.

It isn't much, but it is far better than the piece of 3/4" pine and 2X4 legs I had before. One thing I have to say is I don't know how I ever did anything without a leg vise. That thing just comes in real handy. As I said, I wanted to make it cheap, so I didn't buy any vise hardware. I just bought a big piece of 3/4" all thread at Menards and some nuts and washers. I found a way to keep the nuts captive in the leg of the bench. I wasn't too picky about materials. Mostly whatever straight 2X4s I could find and a couple of 2X10s of southern yellow pine.

I am trying to learn how to use hand tools, and at least this bench doesn't slide around on me like my old one. I'm also hoping to add some kind of end vise thingy to it someday (notice the dog holes which don't do much of anything right now).

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 12-12-2007 at 9:56 PM.

Talking

Jeff, for a "cheap" it looks great! It looks as good as many "expensive" benches I've seen. Enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

First of all, welcome! The people here are great, I have learned so much from people here.

That bench looks great! Awesome leg vise - way to save money on that expensive hardware. Nice, solid, simple bench.

I'm a newbie to woodworking (and handtools), and just finished my bench a few months ago. I don't have a shoulder vise either, and I've made ends meet with a Veritas "Wonder dog", which is a bench dog with build in screw mechanism that allows you to crunch something up against a dog - you might want to check it out.

-Ray

Great lookng bench Jeff! I'm relatively new to woodworking and I'm still working on 3/4 inch oak plywood supported by a pine frame and no vise at all. Hope you don't mind if I steal, uhhh...borrow some of your ideas to build mine!
    Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, but the pig likes it!

Beautiful bench. I think the leg vise is brilliant and I intend stealing that idea. In fact I intend stealing all the ideas in it!
    Andy.

Jeff,

Great to have you here and thanks for sharing your nice bench with us. You did a really nice job on both design and material selection. That bench should last you a very long time and serve your needs very well.

Great job. How big is it?

Pam

Great job! It's nice to hear that you like your leg vise. I've been working on my bench for 6 months and keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing by going with a leg vise. I figured that if I don't like it I can easily remove it. Your solution looks great, I'd love to see more pics of it if you get around to it.

Thanks for the inspiration-
    Michael

That is a fine looking bench. Use it well. Congrats on your accomplishment.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

That's not a "cheap" bench at all...it may have been economical to make, but certainly is not anything I would consider "cheap"! Excellent!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

guessing by the legs that the dog holes are about 6 inches apart and I think its 16 2 bys wide, roughly 24 wide by about 72 long.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Excellent bench Jeff!!!!
    Welcome to the creek.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome and Well done.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey there and Welcome to the Creek.

That is a nice bench you made. I am letting a good amount of 2x4's stabilize in the shop for the same reason. I like the leg vise very much and I may include the same thing on my bench I have only a rough idea for basic size. it's going to be 6' long and about 30ish inches wide.

Real nice and good luck finishing it. Keep up posted.

Take care
    Bob Oehler

Nice job on the bench! Humble though its origins might be, I'll bet no one could tell what kind of bench you use to make your projects.

Mine is 2X4 construction, very similar to yours. It's held up pretty well for the last 23 years.

Bruce